New Orleans House Project

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday: Red Scraps in the Sunset

It was a very long work week (I drove over 600 miles!) and I was delighted to have a rainy Saturday of fabric therapy.  First and foremost was playing with red scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
I stitched up two red Maverick Stars to go in the stack of RSC stars.  The RSC sampler block for this week was also a Maverick Star, so I made a third star and kept the fabrics dark.
Once the stars were completed, I cut all the HST units for my red Carpenter's Wheel block.  I use 2.5" strips and the Easy Angle ruler to cut the the units.   Sticky notes and binder clips help me keep the cut fabrics organized until I can stitch them together. 
I've got a new leader-ender project going alongside all the red scrappy activities.  These 9 patch blocks are for a swap organized by Barb of Fun with Barb.  She shared a very handy technique for making 9 patches and fired up an enthusiastic group of quilters to participate in two different block swaps.  The swaps are full/closed, but if you want to look at all the blocks being created, check out the group's Facebook page.

I haven't checked out today's Rainbow Scrap link-up, so I think I'll make a cup of tea and go enjoy some scrappy red inspiration!