New Orleans House Project

Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Fourth of July!

July 4th - American Independence Day - has been my favorite holiday since childhood.  Family, food and fireworks - what could be better?! 

When I was a young child, our entire neighborhood gathered where a series of backyards came together around a giant oak tree.  Everyone brought food to share and the adults had a keg of cold Milwaukee beer (my early childhood was spent in Wisconsin).  We kids played all afternoon and someone's crazy uncle from Illinois always brought firecrackers - which were illegal in Wisconsin - to thrill us.  After sunset we gathered in lawn chairs and on blankets to watch the fireworks put on by our little town.  They exploded over that oak tree while we all ooohed and ahhhed over each successive rain of colored stars.

I have other wonderful July 4th memories, but that will always be my favorite!
I hope you have a day that makes wonderful memories for you!