New Orleans House Project

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Scrap Happy Saturday: Red Rolls On

A few more days and our red creative playtime for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge will be over.  I'm not quite caught up with the Rainbow Sampler blocks and I still need to finish piecing this month's red Carpenter Star, but I think I can accomplish all that before the end of the week.  After playing with red fabric all month, I've decided a red and white quilt should be added to my Some Day list!
Elderly red scraps were used to assemble the RSC Sampler block called "Flock".
I grabbed these scraps to use for the sampler block Big Dipper, but realized too late I didn't have a Companion Angle ruler at the camp.  Instead, I made the Jewel Box block.  It's a little busy, but I think I like it!
Angela has made quite a batch of these little ear bud cases over the past few weeks.  I've had the pattern saved on Pinterest forever, so I decided it was time to make one, too.  I packed the materials needed and printed the pattern before leaving for the camp last night.  As luck would have it, I actually had a red zipper in my stash.
This is a fun pattern and easy to make!  I did it all on my vintage treadle sewing machine, which does not sew in reverse.  It worked OK, but it would've been easier to do some of the steps on a machine that could sew in reverse!  If I make the pattern again, I'll also use fusible batting as it would help keep the layers from shifting during sewing.  Like my turquoise ear buds?  I bought them cheap at Tuesday Morning 'cuz I go through ear buds on a regular basis.  These look good, but the sound quality is pretty bad!

I haven't checked out today's linky post at Angela's blog, so I'm heading over there next to see what all the other Rainbow Scrappers have been playing with this week!