New Orleans House Project

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pieces of the Past: Antique Store Finds

This past weekend, DH and I spent some time poking around some nearby antique stores.  Usually the only textiles I find in these shops are vintage table linens, but on this trip I found two interesting quilts!

The blocks in this quilt look a little like bow-ties, but the block is constructed of only 3 pieces: two cones and the center bow.  I checked Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns where there were some similar blocks called Drunkard's Trail.  

Best of all, the bow-ties are string-pieced!

Next find was this basket quilt made with vintage plaids, checks and indigos.  It's not a true quilt, as it has no batting and no quilting.  The blocks were sewn together and a backing and binding were attached.  I don't know why one row of blocks is upside down!

I love the vintage indigo fabrics as well as the plaid & check shirting-type fabrics!

I'm kicking myself for not examining these blocks more closely.  In retrospect, they appear to be appliqued to the background fabric.

Neither of these quilts came home with me, but I promised myself I'd go back for the plaid & indigo baskets if they kept calling out to me this week!