New Orleans House Project

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Orange Pairings

One fun thing about this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color is that it pairs so well with other lovely things!  I thought about this the other night at dinner when I enjoyed a gin and tonic flavored with orange and basil.  It got me thinking about other yummy orange pairings:  chocolate and orange, cranberry and orange, cheesecake and orange - even duck and orange!

My sewing this week has been about orange pairings as well.

I discovered the pieces of this stalled project when I did some cleaning in the sewing room last week.  After making two Bento Box quilts a few years ago, I had a stack of scraps that were already cut in 3 inch widths, so I started making 9 patches with 1 1/2 inch squares.  There were already a good number of 9 patches made, so I just made several more to round out a small (22" x 18") quilt top.  I love how the orange and blue color pairing just vibrates with energy!

Another goal for this week was to get these orange and white blocks on the design wall so I could start assembling them into a top.  This quilt pairing was inspired by the Orange Quilt at Cluck Cluck Sew.    I'm happy with the block arrangement, so I'll be sewing rows together for the rest of the afternoon.  

Another pairing that caught my eye this week is the combo of orange and green.  Whether traditional New Orleans shotgun houses with gingerbread trim or something more modern with clean lines, the orange and green color combo really highlights these homes!

I tried adding some green trim to Bonnie Hunter's Happy Scrappy Houses.  It was a fun experiment! 

And now I'm going to link up with Soscrappy to see what orange pairings other Rainbow Scrap Challengers have been playing with this week!