New Orleans House Project

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Orange Memories

It's another scrappy orange Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilters.  I haven't done much orange sewing this week, but I have had orange on the brain!

I grew up in the middle of Florida citrus country.  In fact, my neighborhood was a former orange grove.  We had orange trees in the yard and an abundance of fresh-squeezed orange juice all winter.  My mom was always trying out new recipes featuring oranges and orange juice.

One childhood favorite was Hot Orange Coffee Cake (original name, eh?).  I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so I made one this morning.  Here it is, ready to go in the oven.  Doncha like the juxtaposition of coffee mugs on my kitchen counter?

I did do just a tiny bit of orange stash enhancement this week.  Hancock Fabrics had this orange bandana print - and I'm a sucker for bandana prints.  I limited myself to a half yard, but I may have to go back.  They had other colors as well!

Some orange spools were created using Bonnie Hunter's Spoolin' Around pattern.

A scrappy orange house, also a Bonnie Hunter pattern.

And of course, another orange New Orleans house!  The upstairs front only looks yellow because of the sunlight - it's just as orange as the rest of the house.

Now I think I'll try out my coffee cake and enjoy a cup of coffee while I check out what the other Rainbow Challenge scrappers have been up to this week!