New Orleans House Project

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Orange Memories

It's another scrappy orange Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilters.  I haven't done much orange sewing this week, but I have had orange on the brain!

I grew up in the middle of Florida citrus country.  In fact, my neighborhood was a former orange grove.  We had orange trees in the yard and an abundance of fresh-squeezed orange juice all winter.  My mom was always trying out new recipes featuring oranges and orange juice.

One childhood favorite was Hot Orange Coffee Cake (original name, eh?).  I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so I made one this morning.  Here it is, ready to go in the oven.  Doncha like the juxtaposition of coffee mugs on my kitchen counter?

I did do just a tiny bit of orange stash enhancement this week.  Hancock Fabrics had this orange bandana print - and I'm a sucker for bandana prints.  I limited myself to a half yard, but I may have to go back.  They had other colors as well!

Some orange spools were created using Bonnie Hunter's Spoolin' Around pattern.

A scrappy orange house, also a Bonnie Hunter pattern.

And of course, another orange New Orleans house!  The upstairs front only looks yellow because of the sunlight - it's just as orange as the rest of the house.

Now I think I'll try out my coffee cake and enjoy a cup of coffee while I check out what the other Rainbow Challenge scrappers have been up to this week!






16 comments:

  1. Wow! an orange House! thanks for sharing another part of our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Angie! I'm drooling for some of that coffee cake :*) I'm getting ready to leave for a week-long retreat so probably no orange sewing for me this week :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spools are so cute; and the house is wonderful...will they go together somehow? Isn't this fun? Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking orange blocks, and I love that bandana print. It's a good thing there isn't a Hancock's near my home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, the bow ties are soooo cute! I have my coupons ready for a Hancocks visit later today. Such a dreary day today, so I started up the oven and made a bread pudding, now I just need to put on the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your orange fest! Pop the kettle on and I'll be round for a slice and a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your orange blocks and always love to see the New Orleans colorful houses! That coffee cake looks delicious...a perfect compliment to your coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hot orange coffee cake looks yummy! If only my kids would eat oranges!
    Great blocks and love the orange house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you found an orange house! You are making me hungry with that coffee cake. I could use a snack just now while I'm blog surfing.

    Oh, and those spools are so cute - 3 inchers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum...now I need a piece of cake!
    Love the orange blocks you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orange coffee cake sounds like a winner. I was looking forward to seeing some orange houses again this week, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, that sounds great. Your orange blocks are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely an orange fest! Great looking blocks, orange tree, orange baking and an orange house Wow. Come to think of it our house is painted 'Great Dane' which I thought would be a nice rich tan colour but in fact in some lights it looks really orange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy the houses you find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun post Angie, your blocks are all adorable. I think you should post the recipé for the Hot Orange Coffee Cake (or send me a copy).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to look for your Hot Orange Coffee Cake recipe. It sounds delicious. I love the orange houses.

    ReplyDelete