New Orleans House Project

Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Cure for Hexie Fever?

I have been sorely tempted by all the hexie stitching to be found throughout Blogland.  So many stitchers have been sharing their hexie projects, it's been hard to resist beginning a project of my own.  But why would I want to resist, you ask?

Because I have an inherited hexie Project That Must Be Finished before I start another!

I was gifted with a bag of partially completed hexagon flowers begun by my maternal grandmother.  She made a number of Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts - I happen to have a completed one - but this one was never finished.  For some reason, she free-pieced the seams on these; no marked seam lines, no English Paper Piecing.  That made the blocks a little wonky to start, so I did some judicious ripping and re-sewing to get the flowers to lay flat.  This was a take-along project that went with me to many of my boys' sporting events, and having something to do with my hands was always a blessing!

Eventually the flower sections were done and I had to start connecting all the flowers together.  That makes the project much less portable, so it became my football (NFL/American football) watching project.  Somewhere along the line it got tidied up and put away and ignored for newer, sassier projects.  Until a recent Hexie Queen blog post inspired me to get going on this project again!

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about finishing this quilt!  I love the idea of finishing something my grandmother started AND I love the prints she was using.  It's just not at the easiest stage for stitching now.  However, football season starts tonight and runs through February, so if I persevere, maybe I'll have a finished top in time to celebrate the Superbowl!