New Orleans House Project

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Amethyst

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for February is purple.  That brings me all the way back to the initial inspiration for the New Orleans House Project.  It was during last year's RSC that I made my first purple house blocks, which in turn inspired me to open my eyes to rainbow-hued houses all around the city.  I'm looking forward to sharing a month's worth of purple scrappy house blocks as well as purple New Orleans houses!

Is it just an interesting coincidence that the RSC color for February is purple and the birthstone for the month of February is amethyst?  Even more coincidental is the fact there is an Amethyst Street in New Orleans.  I looked, but the neighborhood is a little too posh to support a bright amethyst house!

How's this for a purple house?  Complete with a pink flamingo in the front yard!  I snapped this pic shortly after Christmas; I like to think the owners have subsequently changed the Christmas decorations for Mardi Gras decorations.

I've worked up a few leader-ender spools in purple, too.  Most of my purple fabric was stashed at our camp, where I'm working on a long-term string quilt from left-over purple and gold fabrics.  We managed to escape to the camp this weekend (New Orleans is a little crazy right now with Mardi Gras and that Super Football Game happening simultaneously!), so I'll bring back a big assortment of purples to play with over the next several weeks.

There will be lots of purple to see over at Soscrappy's blog, where all of the Rainbow Scrappers will be sharing their amethyst quiltings for February.