New Orleans House Project

Saturday, May 2, 2015

RSC 15: Green Dreams

Angela, our ringleader for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, announced the color for May earlier this week:  GREEN.  I immediately started pulling green scraps, thinking about green WIPs and even dreaming about green quilts-to-be.

I started with a rummage through the bin of 2.5" strips and blocks.  It was easy to make six 9 patch variation blocks just from scrappy pieces in the bin.  I still need to make two more blocks, but I'm off to a good start.
Just for fun, I laid out all the 9 patch blocks I've made so far this year!  

As luck would have it, my local long-arm quilter, Cindy Braiwick, finished my green Trip Around the World quilt this week.  This quilt will need MILES of green binding!  I'm thinking I may need to make a scrappy binding for this - just to keep up the plan of using up older green fabrics on this quilt.

I also consulted my Fabric Collection to see if there were any green fabrics calling out to be used up.  I've been collecting fabrics with doll images for a number of years, but I have yet to cut into any of them.  This one is technically not dolls, but it reminded me of the paper dolls I played with as a girl.
I pulled a bunch of fabrics from stash that might (or might not) go with the ballerinas.  My dream is to make something fairly simple, along the lines of Happy Zombie's Patio or Terry Atkinson's All About Me -i.e. squares and rectangles of the feature fabric and all the complementary fabrics.  There may not be enough time to get this idea off the ground this month, but it's still fun to think about!

It's linky Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so there will be lots of ideas to fire up green dreams of your own!


 

 

18 comments:

  1. I love the soft shades of pink and green that you are going to use with the dolls. Either pattern would be a good choice to use the doll fabric. Lovely green blocks. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to a great green start. The nine patches make such a fun collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful green projects! I love the pink and green fabrics that you pulled together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - GREEN! Love all your green projects. They have really inspired me to get to my green fabrics and get working on my RSC for this month!! You have some wonderful selections there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh both of those projects would be adorable with your ballarinas--I will be using many shades of green...your TAW is gorgeous--I am "green" with envy lol hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be a little 'green' with envy over that scrappy trips quilt. Sorry for that really lame pun, I couldn't help myself. I do love that quilt though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful start. Love your scrappy trip quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That green with the little girls is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that fabric - and the ones you pulled to go with it. I hope they get cut into this month. Enjoy making that scrappy binding - such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your scrappy nine-patches!! I may have to "borrow" the idea, especially since other colors that creep into the prints do not detract from the overall color of the month. I can use more of my mixed colors than I thought.

    I love your "dolls" fabric, and since we seem to be about the same age, I have to agree they remind me of my childhood - children in books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The nine patches look great all laid out. And the doll fabric is hilarious...I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dreamy green fabric with the tiny tot dancing along, and what a stroke of luck having your lovely green quilt back this month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Great fabric collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that little ballerina is oh so sweet. Looking forward to her dancing across one of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw that ballerina print with all the prospective companion prints and interpreted it as potential pillowcases. :- ) Either pattern would work up wonderfully to showcase your doll prints!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of a pink and green quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very sweet green conversation print fabric! Love working with green myself.:) Have fun with your binding!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those dancing dollies are adorable and hold all sorts of potential. Looking great for green ahead.

    ReplyDelete