New Orleans House Project

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Return of the Flying Mimosas

 

I'm happy to be sharing a February Finish:  Flying Mimosas!

Finished size:  76" x 84"


 The quilt was inspired by a Missouri Star Quilt company Triple Play video featuring Flying Geese quilt block patterns.

I had the perfect fabric bundle for the quilt aging in my stash - Mimosa by Another Point of View for Windham Fabrics.  Hence the name "Flying Mimosas"!

Diane Knott of Butterfly Threads Quilting did the long-arm quilting for me. 




 

 

I found just the right binding fabric at my local quilt store, and used it for bias binding.  Bias stripes are one of my favorite bindings!






I meant to use machine stitching for the entire binding, but my brain was on auto-pilot and I sewed the binding to the front of the quilt instead of the back.  Oops, that meant hand stitching the binding to the back of the quilt.

Having the quilt cover me during stitching was a good way to keep warm during the chilly weather we've been having!







This was definitely a fun quilt to make!  
I just need to add a label, and then it will be ready to gift to a special family friend.  
 

I also came up with a tulip quilt block pattern to share with my quilt group for March's lotto block.
I incorporated piecing techniques from a couple of different tulip block patterns to come up with my block.  Of course I had to make several of them to make sure the pattern worked OK!