New Orleans House Project

Friday, October 29, 2021

Life in the Scrap Pile

 Time spent with scraps is never wasted!

I added four more Easy Breezy blocks to my stack, bringing the total to 90.  I've been making these since last year, so I think it's probably time to start assembling them.
 
Framed squares are a new block project.  My 3.5 inch strip bin is over-flowing, so it was easy to pull some scraps and start making these.
 
These two fabrics had been tossed back in a drawer and were adjacent to each other - they looked like a good possibility for an Antique Tile block.  I'm not sure I love it now that it's made, but scraps are all about playing with new ideas!

On the other hand, I'm very happy with how this lime green Sugar Loaf block turned out!   The center seam is not sewn up, but I'll finish that in a minute.  
 
I still need five more blocks to complete the Flashes of Brilliance pattern as written.  I'm dreading the final quilt assembly on this one, as the directions call for cutting five of the blocks in half!  And not in half along the final seam line, but through the half-way point of the hexagon shape.  Yikes!
 
Remember earlier I mentioned my 3.5 inch strip bin was overflowing?  When I read about the Two and Four Quilt-Along on Wendy's blog, (The Constant Quilter) I thought it would be a great way to thin out more scraps.  I got off to a late start, so didn't really participate with the QAL as it was happening, but it hasn't taken long to work through the steps of the project.
 
The Two and Four quilt uses 3.5 inch squares and 3.5 x 6.5 inch strips to create columns of Rail Fence and Four Patch blocks.  The instructions are provided by Katy Quilts - the QAL starts here, but you can get a list of all the related posts by looking down the Archives of her blog for Two and Four QAL.
 
My next step is to assemble the Four Patches into columns, then sew all the columns together.  I can't say that I made all that big a dent in the strip bin, but I'm happy to have a fun and easy way to use up scraps!