New Orleans House Project

Friday, October 22, 2021

Flying Mimosas?

 About a month ago, I shared a picture of some blocks for an HST Flying Geese quilt I was working on.

The quilt was inspired by a Triple Play video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  Jenny Doan called her quilt "Every Which Way But Goose" - which I guess was a reference to a Clint Eastwood movie from 1978.  I'm old enough to remember the movie, but I had to look up the date!

As I worked on the quilt, I tried to come up with a different name.  The quilt will eventually be gifted, and I thought it should have a more original name.  

Since the fabric line is called Mimosa and the quilt is made of Flying Geese blocks, the name "Flying Mimosas" popped in my head.  That's been my working name for the quilt, but I don't think it will be the final choice. 

As I was listening to WWOZ, our local community access radio station, I did hear what might be the perfect name for just about any quilt.  It's an old chestnut of a song (first recorded in 1931), but it has fun lyrics and a great sentiment:  "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (and Dream Your Troubles Away).

Since this is a Crescent City blog, I'll leave you with a link to a version of the song by native son, Louis Armstrong!