New Orleans House Project

Friday, November 18, 2016

A Tale of Broken Dishes

I recently participated in Barb's (Fun with Barb) Broken Dishes block swap.  I chose the red reproduction fabric group and wound up with 80 fantastic red and white blocks.  My design wall was empty this week, so I pinned up a batch of them to see how my setting idea would work.

I was hoping I would have a red and white toile fabric in my stash that would work for the alternate blocks.  I have a lot of toile fabric, but alas, not one that played nicely with the Dishes.  I auditioned this foulard print, but the background is too yellow.

This is more the idea I have in mind.  Unfortunately, I only have a fat quarter of this fabric and haven't had any luck finding more online.  I'm sure I'll be able to find something similar at my LQS, which specializes in reproduction fabrics.  There's no rush - I won't be able to do any assembly on this quilt until the first of the year.  Until then, I think I'll leave the blocks hanging for now, so I can enjoy all the different red fabrics!

Many thanks to Barb and all the swap participants for such a fun project!