I'm so happy to finally have this top pieced! The 16-patch blocks are from last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I knew I wanted to use an hour-glass alternate block, so I cut some of them as the challenge went along. But since the quilt had so many colors, I couldn't assemble them until I had the blocks in the final layout. It seemed to take forever to get everything sewn together.
At this point, the top measures about 60" x 60". I'd like it to be a little larger, so I'm auditioning border fabrics.
I found two great fabrics hiding in the stash. They're both 1995 Alexander Henry Fabrics and I have plenty of yardage for borders. Did I mention this quilt is for my sister-in-law, a former pre-school teacher and now child advocate?
I like the colors in this one, but since it's an obvious Easter fabric, I think it will stay in the stash a bit longer.
This is OK, but the border fabric doesn't have anything to do with the main quilt, so I think it looks a little awkward.
I also have some of this Project Linus fabric in the stash. It might work as a narrow border.
This is working out better. AND I have enough of the red fabric for borders.
A little investigating with my nieces and I found out their mom likes green and teal. I found a neat piece of Stonehenge fabric in shades of teal. I like it - I think it adds a calming influence to the quilt. Unfortunately, it's only a half-yard piece, so I may be making a trip to the LQS tomorrow!