New Orleans House Project

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Beginnings



Resistance is obviously futile.  I have resisted starting a blog for years now with varying rationales:  I don't have anything that interesting to say; I'll never be consistent in posting; I might get some nasty criticism; blah, blah, blah.  Yet today the inspiration has stuck (with a little nudge from a friend), so I'm jumping into quilting blogland and preparing to have a lot of fun!


Let's face it, quilting all by your lonesome can get dry and boring.  It's fun to showcase the latest quilt creation on Facebook for all your adoring friends and family, but they'd probably not be much help in previewing fabric choices or choosing a quilting strategy.  Blogging offers a community of quilters who bring different perspectives right to your laptop.


My plan is to share my quilts, my quilting experiences and my thoughts about quilts, quilting and even occasional non-quilting topics.  Most of all, I look forward to the fun and friendship quilting seems to inspire in all of us! 


In honor of Karen, the friend who gave me the blogging nudge, I offer a quilt that was a UFO for a very long time.  Many years ago, in another lifetime, I served as president of my local quilt guild.  The traditional "thank you" gift at the end of the term was a stack of blocks made by the guild members using the President's Path pattern.  The out-going president could request a style of fabric if she desired, and I requested "old-fashioned" fabric.  My blocks languished for years (I won't bore you with all the excuses), but I finally got motivated a couple of years ago to finish that President's Path quilt.  Once it was pieced I sent it to my friend Annie for machine quilting and I was thrilled with the amazing designs she stitched into my memories.  This has become one of my favorite quilts as I love the tactile reminders of my quilting friends. 



All the blocks were gifted to me in 1997, but the quilt wasn't completed until almost 10 years later!



The pictures above give a good idea of the quilting in the blocks.



More fabric and inscription detail.


Border quilting detail;  all quilting was done by my friend Annie, who does amazing free-motion quilting on a treadle sewing machine!