New Orleans House Project

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Grandmother's Choice #3: Union Square

The third block in the Grandmothers Choice BOW is "Union Square".  I wish there was a little more contrast between the fabrics in my center 9-patch, but I can live with it.  This block was straightforward and easy, unlike block #4, which will be challenging!  This coming week is going to be a busy one, so I may not have the opportunity to work on block 4 until late in the week, or next weekend.  Still determined not to fall behind!

After making my first two blocks, I decided I needed some additional fabrics to add some interest to my original fabrics.  I pulled some fabrics from my reproduction fabric stash and put them in the Grandmother's Choice working basket:
These are mostly blues and browns.  I had to photo them under artificial light, so even with some Pixelmator tweaking, they're not quite right.  They''ll look great with my original fabrics, though.

I picked these up this week at one of my LQS - The Quilted Owl.  They specialize in reproduction fabrics, with an emphasis on handwork of all types.  I think these reds will really add some POP to my Grandmother's Choice blocks!