New Orleans House Project

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Hometown Quilt Along

 My house is still in chaos from all the fixer-upper projects, so only a small amount of stitching got done this week.  The construction guys are trying to finish everything up by tomorrow.  Once they're finished, I'll just have time to get the house put back together before the boys arrive home next week for Mardi Gras.  Sewing will probably take a back seat until after they leave.

And even though I've been trying to focus on wrapping up some UFOs, I have been making plans to start a new project.

Hometown quilt by Diane Knott.  Used by permission of the quiltmaker.

Quiltmania's 2023 HOMETOWN Quilt Along by Diane Knott!

You may have already read about the QAL on Quiltmania's blog or on Diane's Butterfly Threads blog.

The first month's directions went live on January 11th.  I knew I wouldn't be able to start cutting and sewing immediately, but I could rummage through the stash and come up with some fabric choices.

In email conversations with Diane, she hinted a New Orleans-themed fabric choice would be fun.  

I have already done one New Orleans house quilt - but the thought of Mardi Gras houses is still appealing!

 

Instead of modern Mardi Gras houses, I could honor the antique architecture of New Orleans with some reproduction purple, green, and gold (Mardi Gras colors) houses.

This Jamestown FQ bundle from Nancy Gere would be a good starting point.

 


 

Or maybe a Hometown Christmas quilt?  (Old Sturbridge Village by Judie Rothemel) 



 

This would be straight out of my childhood - a very Brady Hometown!

(Bloomin' Bunch by Maureen McCormick)



 

Then there's the Fig Tree inspiration:  a little Catalina Hometown from Joanna Figueroa.

I haven't made a decision yet.  I might just have to write the fabric collection names on slips of paper and pick one from a hat!

Are you inspired to join the QAL and make your own HOMETOWN?!