New Orleans House Project

Saturday, January 19, 2019

On a Roll with Red Scraps

I feel like I'm on a roll with Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  Who knows how long the progress will last, but I'm enjoying it while it happens!

I was able to make two Sugar Bowl blocks using some scrappy chunks of red.

I needed some leader-ender blocks, so I added some 4-patches cut from scraps in the 2 inch bin.

While I was digging through the drawers and boxes looking for red scraps, I found a stack of red batik fabrics I bought several years ago to make a red and white schoolhouse quilt.  I made a schoolhouse quilt years ago - in my early days as a quilter - and I wanted to make another.  

I wanted to make the same style block as my earlier quilt, and I found a great pattern on the APQ website.  It's a free pattern by Carrie Nelson:  Home for the Harvest.  It's a great scrappy pattern, but I knew I was only going to use red and white fabrics for my quilt.
The practice block went together so easily, I went ahead and made a second block.  And cut out parts for four more blocks.  If they keep going together so easily, I should have six blocks finished by the end of the month.  That meets my plan for a wall hanging-size quilt.

There's more scrappy red inspiration at the weekly Rainbow Scrap Challenge link-up.  I hope you are making great progress with your red scraps, too!