New Orleans House Project

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Windblown Wishes Gets An RSC Update

During last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I used the monthly color challenge to make Windblown Wishes quilt blocks.  Once all the rainbow-hued blocks were done, I planned to assemble them much like Diane Knott's version in her Scrap Quilt Secrets book.  

Diane's pattern uses sashing and cornerstones to create secondary 9-patches between the blocks.  I liked the effect in Diane's quilt, but decided it just looked like random Starburst candies sprinkled on my quilt.  I think the difference is Diane's blocks contain random colors and mine are specific colors.  I tried organizing the cornerstones in a more color-specific way, but still didn't like the effect.

In the end, I opted for a traditional sashing and cornerstone layout. 

Now that I've changed direction from Diane's pattern, I plan to do my own border treatment as well.  There will be a 2-3 inch solid white border, followed by a border of RSC-themed HSTs to mimic the HSTs in the quilt blocks.  I'll probably add a final white fabric border outside the HSTs to stabilize them.  

The HSTs can be part of my monthly RSC projects.  I'll need around 15 of each rainbow color; that should be pretty easy to do using my already-cut strips and the handy-dandy Easy Angle Ruler.  

So, not much scrappy blue stitching here today, but if you check out today's RSC link-up, I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration!