New Orleans House Project

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Austen Family Album: More Family Introductions and World Events

For what it's worth, I have been keeping up with Barbara Brackman's Austen Family Album BOW, but I keep forgetting to post my progress on the blog!
 Cross in Cross block, chosen in recognition of Jane Austen's father, the Reverend George Austen.  Again, I did some fussy cutting of a fabric collage stripe. 
Next we were called upon to be Thrifty, to honor Jane's mother, Cassandra Austen.
Jane's brother James is remembered with Village Square.
 Empire Star remembers Napoleon Bonaparte.  Although he is not directly mentioned in any of Jane's books, he loomed large in current events during her time.  I was tickled to be able to use the bee print - one of Napoleon's symbols - in this block.  
My goal for this week is to really go through my stash and pull any fabrics that may work with Curio, the fabric group I initially chose for my blocks.  I really need some other types of prints to add some variation to the blocks!  If the stash doesn't yield much, then I'll have to make a visit to the Quilted Owl for some stash enhancement.
As for enjoying Jane's books, I've finished Pride & Prejudice and Northanger Abbey.  I think Emma will be next up in the queue.