New Orleans House Project

Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Clean Up with Yellow

For this week's Rainbow Scrap Challenge stitching, I dug into the last of the yellow scraps and made some small building blocks.

It only takes 2 inch strips and an Easy Angle ruler to make scrappy pinwheel blocks.  I have a design in mind for these, but I'm waiting for all the RSC colors to finish up before I start assembling anything.

The last of the yellow 2 inch strips and pieces got assembled into 4-patch blocks.  No specific plans for these, but I'm sure inspiration will strike at some point.

I also tried my hand at making two more Burgoyne Surrounded blocks.  
The yellows don't balance out too well in this block, but I think it will be OK when combined with more blocks in a quilt.

I think this one balanced out a little better.  I was inspired by Cathy's Burgoyne blocks; Cathy was inspired by the pattern here.  If you are intrigued by this block, I encourage you to give it a try.  Choosing the fabrics is fun and the cutting and piecing are not difficult - not quick, but not difficult!

I've enjoyed all the yellow fabric play this month, but my yellow scrap bins are pretty empty and I'm ready for a new color.  To see more yellow scrappiness, check out the weekly Rainbow Scrap Challenge link-up.


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Angie! I think the Burgoyne blocks will work perfectly once they are all sewn together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try the Burgoyne block and yours are really tempting me. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FABULOUS collection of YELLOW scraps!! I'll be looking forward to seeing the design you have in mind for your Pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All happy scrappy blocks!
    Aren't those Burgoyne blocks fun to play with? I'm so glad Cathy started hers and inspired us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Burgoyne blocks are so interesting! I like the pretty combination of fabrics you used in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Burgoyne blocks as much as I love Cathy's. When she first started doing them, I thought "No Way!". But now I'm about ready to hop on the bandwagon - for next year's RSC. Thanks for the pattern link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blocks and projects, so many delightful yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks. Yea! Lots of scraps used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Burgoyne blocks are so delightful scrappy. It's one that's been on my list forever, but I've only invisioned it as a two color quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those yellow pinwheels are so cheerful and cute! Love the Burgoyne blocks--they are on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yellow blocks look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BS...I love you! Strange thing...I have a little piece (small chunk) of that Sunflower Fiesta fabric left and I ALMOST used it in my BS yellow block but couldn't find other scraps that went with it. I like how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure have made good use of the yellows, with some made ahead. The Burgoyne blocks both look good and will and brightness to the entire quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such gorgeous blocks! You really rocked with the yellows this month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is on my quilt list. I've always wanted a Burgoyne Surrounded quilt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your yellow pinwheels and four patches are wonderful. I like the look of all those Burgoyne blocks y'all are making, but they are not for me.

    ReplyDelete