New Orleans House Project

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Big Blue Monster

One of the projects I am aiming to finish this year is a blue and white scrap quilt I planned with my guest room bed in mind.  The guest room never seems to have a decorating scheme or quilts of its own - maybe because my kids keep moving home and setting up camp in there!

Back in 2014, the guest room was vacant, so I decided to make a quilt for that room.  The room is painted blue, so I knew a blue and white quilt would be perfect.  I decided to make Sawtooth Star and Uneven 9-patch blocks, inspired by a quilt on Barbara Brackman's website.  I cut parts and pieces from my very large collection of blue fabrics and used a white on white fabric for the background.

My original plan was for 100 eight inch blocks.  When I reached that goal, I decided the quilt wasn't big enough and added more blocks until I had enough for 11 rows by 11 rows.

Last weekend I started pinning the blocks to the design wall.  I chose an uneven number of rows so there would be a Sawtooth Star block in each corner.  

Once I had all the blocks pinned up, I did the math and decided the quilt STILL wasn't big enough for a queen-sized bed.

Fortunately, I still had my cutting instructions, so I quickly cut and pieced another row of blocks, making the quilt 12 x 11, or 96 inches by 88 inches.

I've dubbed the quilt the Big Blue Monster because it fills the design wall and I'm feeling overwhelmed about stitching all those 8 inch blocks together!  I didn't even add the new row to the design wall because I'd have to climb up and down the step-stool or crawl on my knees to get it pinned up.

If I were staying home this weekend (Memorial Day observance in the United States), I could probably get lots of stitching done.  I'm off to Florida to visit family, though, so all those blocks will just have to chill until I get back.  This project has been underway since 2014, so I guess it can wait a little longer!





17 comments:

  1. Oh! I love this one! It's going to be a beautiful quilt when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece--certainly a lot of sewing going to begoing on at your house!! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is going to be so pretty. I love blue & white quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be a beautiful quilt for your guest room. Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your blue monster! I am working on a blue quilt too, and am adding checkerboard borders to make it queen size too! Enjoy your weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! Can't wait to see it all finished. I hope you have a great visit with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Big Blue Monster is going to be GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty. I love star blocks and the color blue. Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your name for this quilt. I've been calling my king sized quilt a monster too.
    It is going to be such a stunning quilt - it already is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great trip! Your gorgeous big blue monster can wait a bit longer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your big blue monster seems pretty sweet to me. Love seeing all those fabrics. I'm amazed that you still had enough white or white fabric to keep making blocks. It will be a classic when it's put together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is a big quilt! And it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blue quilt! I think I need to make another blue and white one soon. Enjoy your time in Florida..... summer temps seem to have arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a lot of blocks! But it's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blue is such a great color to work with. It goes with everything. What a great quilt this will be. Good luck with the finishing up!

    ReplyDelete