New Orleans House Project

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Green Scrap Therapy


A little more green scrap therapy happened this week.

These Rail Fence selvage blocks barely made a dent in the green selvages.  I may have to make more!

Some Happy Scrappy House blocks got green wonky borders.  This project is starting to speak very loudly about being finished, so I might have to move ahead and make more wonky borders without waiting for RSC inspiration.

I hand-pieced a few green scrappy pieces, too.  These are for my Hex Vex project.  One trick I learned for piecing hexies is to use tape to hold the hexie parts together for flat back-stitching - note the tape on the flamingo block.

This also happened:
I had admired and been inspired by Cathy's Burgoyne Surrounded blocks for several months.  Then Gayle acted on her inspiration, so I decided to challenge myself to try making a block.  I like the kind of low volume way my block turned out, but what I really like are Cathy's bright color schemes.  I don't think my stash will support that look, so I'm not sure I will keep making these blocks.  I left this one pinned to the design wall to see what inspiration will flow from it!

For more green, scrappy inspiration, check out the link-up at Soscrappy today!






21 comments:

  1. I've gotten interested in those Burgoyne Surriunded blocks, too, and your green version is lovely! It would make a sweet table topper, if you decide not to make any more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely collection of blocks. The Burgoyne block looks very interested. Love your Wonky houses!
    I look forward to seeing them come together in a quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All lovely blocks I like your take on the rail fences...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Burgoyne block is delicately beautiful. However, it should not be overwhelmed by bright colors. What about using it as a pillow or medallion piece on its own. Btw, do you have directions for making the wonky parts for the houses. I've been frustrated doing them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that Burgoyne block. It would be great in bright colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your B. Surrounded block is very pretty - I don't want to make a whole quilt out of one though. Good luck with those noisy houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie, you have the most amazing projects going on. I am crushing on those houses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you had some fun with your flamingos. Sorry your weren't happy with that sample block. Hoping you at least enjoyed making it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of good green blocks. I love the rail selvages! I should make something with more of my selvages again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many wonderful blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. tape is neat trick. I use the little binder clips to hold my pieces together.
    great selvage blocks too - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your wonky house blocks. They are always fun to make. The flamingo fabric is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blocks! The Burgoyne Surrounded is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All your blocks look great, but I'm especially partial to that Burgoyne!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those flamingos are just perfect, I love that block.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad the houses have made an appearance again. I remember you taking us on tours in NO when you were making them.

    Then I saw the Hex Vex complete with flamingoes. I've made a quilt similar to that with six inch hexies in different configurations and I really feel the urge to make another now. Really feel the urge... (I used graph paper you can print on line to cut out the different shapes within the hexies...Now where was that?)

    And then I saw the BS!! Woo hoo...another one succumbs! And don't I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what a great looking bunch of scrappy green blocks! There is a lot of inspiration within this group isn't there? And everyone is so generous with their sharing too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of great green blocks over at yours! Really love the BS block, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those flamingos are fun and your subtle Burgoyne block is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete