New Orleans House Project

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Rainbow Scraps and Selveges

I've been utilizing spare moments over the past few weeks to work on border blocks for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge Maverick Star quilt top.  I was determined to finish all the piecing before this weekend ended and when I woke up to thunder and pouring rain today, I knew I had the perfect opportunity for guilt-free stitching!
 So now my quilt top is a little too large for a wall hanging, but a little too small for a twin-size quilt.  I'm thinking of adding a 4" white border and finishing it off with a scrappy, pieced binding.  
Since the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for June is aqua, I did add a few selvege blocks in that colorway. 

And while I was working on the borders for the Maverick Star quilt, I stitched up a few aqua Sawtooth Star blocks as leader-enders.  These will go in the collection of Sawtooth Star blocks and eventually become another starry quilt!

I thought the thunderstorms were about to end, but now the sky has clouded up again and I'm hearing thunder not too far away.  I have to decide if I'm going to stay home and sew some more or pack up and go to the camp.  I think the storms are percolating up there, too, so it will be a rainy afternoon wherever.  That will be a good excuse to spend lots of time looking at other RSC projects over at Angela's blog.


 

18 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I love, love ♥ your Maverick star top with the selvege blocks borders. Beautiful and a great use for those selveges! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fantastic quilt! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plan for finishing your quilt sounds like a good one. Your Sawtooth Star blocks in AQUA look good, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The border blocks made out of selveges are such a fun idea! I really love how your Maverick star quilt is turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That came out wonderful. Great job Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beauty of the rainbow colors but am truly impressed with how effective the pieced white background is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The selvage border blocks are just the right touch and a white border and colorful binding would fit right in. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely idea to use the selvedges to make the blocks for that quilt. They are absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful. Adding the salvage blocks was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the fresh and airy feeling of your quilt. It truly sparkles. Fabulous job Angie! And rainy weather is always permission to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have definitely used your sewing time this week. The selvage border is awesome and compliments those maverick stars. I'm a firm believer is using L&E's while sewing. You got those challenge blocks done without even trying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the selvage border idea!
    And you might as well stay home and do some stitching... the perfect rainy weather activity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Maverick Star block. You really did a great job. I know you are glad to have it together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WEE that star quilt is adorable! It is so happy and fresh. I always love to see those selvages snuck into projects. Aqua? I don't think I have any in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Maverick Star quilt top is amazing.

    ReplyDelete