New Orleans House Project

Saturday, November 21, 2015

RSC 15: Counting Up the Scrap Jar Stars

I've been making Scrap Jar Star blocks as part of this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I made a SJS quilt for last year's challenge using bright colors, so this year I decided to try using reproduction fabrics.  The RSC color for this month is lime green, not exactly a reproduction style color, so I substituted blue-green shades.

My design wall is still covered with t-shirt quilt blocks, so I laid all the Scrap Jar Stars on the floor.  Based on experience with last year's quilt, I knew I wanted to have a 5 x 5 block layout so the final quilt would be a decent size.
I've got 19 blocks, so I need to make 6 more blocks before I can start assembling.  I don't know if I'll have time to make the blocks during December, so I may carry the SJS blocks over to next year's RSC.

Other RSC quilters are working with lime green or otherwise finishing up their Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects and you can see all their results over at Angela's Soscrappy blog.

 

19 comments:

  1. Such nice blocks :) I had to smile at your floor layout since I was just vacuuming up pet hair on mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I love civil war fabrics. I really need to make these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is turning out so great! Its fun to watch the come together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little surprised you didn't use a "poison green" as a substitute for lime! Your blocks are looking wonderful, what a great quilt they will make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really look great all laid out together! (Though I think the name 'Scrap Jar Stars' really doesn't do them justice. They need a prettier name...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call on the blue greens this month - this is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The repro blocks are lovely and blend so nicely together. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shades of blue/green in your latest two stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice contrast to the bright one..... this one is very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those stars are so pretty together in rows. I love how the corners make little four patches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are absolutely stunning! What a gorgeous quilt you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors are beautiful in the quilt. Glad you were able to put those repos to work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep my repro scraps separate too. Blue green was an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my. Those muted greens are lovely. And the resulting quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the extra squares that show up when the blocks are laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your scrap jar stars! This quilt is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete