New Orleans House Project

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

UFOs Just Wanna Get Done

I took a quilt class with Kaye England several years ago.  OK, it was 10 years ago.  Class participants were to choose a quilt from Kaye's latest book at the time:  Vintage Gathering

The class was a lot of fun (Kaye is a hoot!) and I learned how to use the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers. 







I made a decent start on the blocks for my quilt, but I quickly stalled out due to limited fabrics for the scrappy Sawtooth Stars in the quilt.
Hurricane Katrina happened a few months after the class.  My options for fabric purchasing became limited and my quilt project got put away.  I knew I eventually wanted to finish the quilt, but I had to wait for some additional fabrics to come my way.






A few weeks ago, I went digging through all my drawers and boxes, looking for examples of Lancaster Blue fabrics for a Stars in a Time Warp block.  I laid my hands on the Kaye England project and it emphatically told me it was time to "get me finished!"







From that point on, I worked obsessively to finish the quilt.  I found plenty of fabrics - now in my stash - to finish the Sawtooth Star blocks needed for the quilt.  I needed some additional fabric for setting the blocks, and my LQS, the Quilted Owl, had a perfect fabric from one of the Downton Abbey lines.
I used the rest of the focus fabric, the pink chintz, for the strippy part of the setting.

I added an additional dark green border.  It looks a bit dark in the photo, but in person it makes a nice frame for the quilt.  It hasn't told me how it wants to be quilted yet, so I guess I can wait just a little longer to completely finish.  I'm just happy it's out of the UFO drawer and all the fabrics are back in the stash or scrap boxes!
 


15 comments:

  1. Nice UFO finish (top done is a finish to me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angie, it is just beautiful! Of course I LOVE any star, but these are just so sweet and soothing! I like dark borders - they do frame the quilt to me, also! Great flimsy finish!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful finish! Getting a UFO done is such bliss!! You knew the right fabric would come your way eventually!! It's looking fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. It's a great feeling to wrap up a older ufo.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your UFO is fantastic! what a wonderful feeling to get that done(ish). the fabric you chose is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for a UFO finish. I love the soft pretty look of this strippy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay - a finish, a UFO finish!! It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome UFO finish. Very pretty girlie fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous finish. Getting out an old project and crossing it off the list is such a great feeling. Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great discovery and finish! I think the fabrics look like they were meant to be together. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie, this is gorgeous. Congrats on getting it crossed off of the list. Thank you for sharing how events little (not the right fabric) and huge (Hurricane Katrina) keep it all in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your blog title and instantly started singing Girls Just Want to Have Fun! It's stuck in my head :)

    This is a lovely finish! Congratulations on getting rid of a UFO.

    ReplyDelete