New Orleans House Project

Saturday, October 17, 2015

RSC 15: Variations on 2 Inch Squares

Two inch squares and strips are great building blocks for scrappy quilts.  I have a box full of 2 inch parts that I use as a starting point for all kinds of scrappy projects, including RSC quilts.  I did some digging in the 2 inch scrap box last week to start a 4-patch mini quilt.  I was able to finish that up this week with a variety of 2 inch squares and strips in orange, brown and cream fabrics.  I even found a perfect border fabric in my stash - I just need to cut the borders and attach them.

I also went digging in the brown 2 inch squares to assemble 2 Scrap Jar Star blocks.  These came from my burgeoning supply of reproduction scraps.

I'll be digging in my scrap boxes looking for more brown RSC inspiration, as the month is only half over.   In the meantime, check out Angela's Soscrappy blog for more Rainbow Scrap ideas.


22 comments:

  1. I like your combo of the orange and brown--perfect for this time of year--really cute mini quilt...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mini. Great use of the 2" scraps. Might have to pinch that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your 4-patch mini! Great colors and border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reproduction browns are so soft and warm. Lovely. It is great how quickly quilts can come together from the partially assembled extra and precuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 inch scraps is one thing I usually don't have. Seems I have mostly 2.5 and 1.5. And for some reason I keep my cw and 30 repro scraps and projects separate from all other scraps.

    I like both of your projects regardless of the scrap size!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those scrap jar stars are STILL calling out to me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. That four patch mini is so striking with your choice of sashing and cornerstones. And your chocolates look quite gourmet in their fancy star box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever way to use up small scraps and turn them into such a fun mini quilt. I like those scrap jar stars; very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love your chocolate brown prints. I must try some of those wonderful stars! Totally agree with you about those 2" squares and strips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that Jack O Lantern border fabric! It's prefect for that mini.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a happy little mini quilt that will be! Always love those scrap jar stars too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet little quilt you had hiding in your block box. Looks like it just made itself! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much fun to play with the 2.5" strips and squares. Great little projects and the colours are perfect for October.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a little basket of 2.5 inch squares..... that are turning into 4 patches. No clue what they will become though! Great ideas.
    Your scrap jars are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the orange and brown combo. I was out hiking earlier today, and the oranges in nature are just so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for stopping by- I love your scrap jar blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love mini quilts, and that one is fantastic!
    I've started cutting 2" strips, in addition to the 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 that I'd been cutting. Not very many yet, but handy since I'm using 2" squares for my little rainbow Ohio stars. Your scrapbox stars are really tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  18. love a 2 inch square made quilt! LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those Scrap Jar Star blocks! And that little quilt ... so cute!

    ReplyDelete