New Orleans House Project

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Austen Family Album: Up To Date Again

I didn't realize I was so far behind in posting my Austen Family Album blocks.  It hasn't been difficult to keep up with this BOM, but I forget about posting my blocks after I make them.  I also keep adding new fabrics to the original collection of Curio by Basic Grey fat quarters.  I'm a little worried the colors and fabrics are not going to be cohesive by the end of the project.  We'll see - there are still a lot of blocks to stitch!
Going back to block 7 in the series:  Philadelphia Block for Jane's aunt, Phila Hancock.  I found her story quite fascinating, as she sailed to India to find a husband.
Phila Hancock's daughter Eliza Hancock de Feullide Austen inspired the block Eliza's Star.
Block #9 - London Roads - was inspired by Jane's brother Henry Austen.  After spending time in military service, he became a banker in London.
Jane's youngest brother, Edward Austen Knight, inspired block 10:  Good Fortune.  Edward had the good fortune to be adopted by a wealthy couple, the Knights.
Edward Austen Knight's adoptive mother, Catherine Knatchbull Knight inspired this week's block, Friendship Square.  Catherine was a friend of Jane's and provided financial support for her work.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful blocks! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these - it was interesting hearing the history behind them. I know very little about Jane herself, but I sure do love her books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks. I'm sure with the 'right' setting fabrics all the blocks will sing in harmony. Lovely memory quilt you are making in the next post.

    ReplyDelete