New Orleans House Project

Saturday, September 25, 2021

Cleaning and Stitching

Happy Autumn Equinox!  (OK, I'm a few days late, but does it really matter if fall is truly in the air?!) 

When last we spoke, I was in Florida, waiting for the effects of Hurricane Ida to subside enough so I could go home.

We stayed in Florida for almost a week, then returned to our camp in Mississippi.  Our camp home was undamaged and never even lost power.  However, due to rain and storm surge, we had about two feet of flooding from the tidal inlet our house sits next to.  Once the water went down, we drove back and commenced cleaning up the mess.

Our camp is meant for outdoor living, so we have lots of patio and decking space.  Everything under the house was covered with a layer of dried silt, with another layer of mold/mildew underneath.  As you can see, the floodwaters moved our rolling planters, and pushed the veggie planters right off the deck!

The decking closest to the water had the most silt, while the grass and fig tree were covered with it, too.
Just like everyone else in the neighborhood, the power washer was our friend!
It took DH and I several days to get everything cleaned up and set right.

Ten days after Hurricane Ida hit, our power was restored in New Orleans.  We were able to return to an undamaged house and do more clean up!  Our neighborhood has lots of huge Live Oak trees, so there was leaf and limb debris all over. 

Although New Orleans is well on the road to recovery at this point, things aren't so rosy for the areas of the state that experienced the eye of the hurricane.  Thousands of people have been left homeless by the storm, with little housing relief in sight.  Local charities are stepping up to help, and if you're interested in contributing, I wholeheartedly recommend The Greater New Orleans Foundation and/or Second Harvest Food Bank.  Both organizations have been around for years, make excellent use of their financial resources, and serve the entire hurricane-affected area. 
OK, I do have some quilt-related content!
I have managed to work on a few things, although I'm struggling to stay focused on any one project for long. 

I started playing with these blocks after returning home, but as easy as the blocks are, I haven't made much progress.
I saw the pattern demonstrated on a Missouri Star Quilt Company "Triple Play" video.  Jenny Doan made her blocks using pre-cut 5-inch squares of 1930s style repro fabrics.  The Flying Geese blocks are made from HSTs.  When I saw her blocks, I immediately thought of a fat quarter bundle that had been aging in my stash.  Instead of cutting the FQs into squares, I just cut 4.5-inch strips and used the Easy Angle ruler to cut my HST pairs.  There are about 25 fabrics in the FQ bundle that will wind up going into the quilt.  I've worked through most of the red and orange fabrics - the rest are green and aqua, with a little gray thrown in.
Sorry for the yucky picture - I'm beginning to wonder if I need a new camera.  Or maybe I should give up on the camera and just use my phone!



  1. So good to hear from you again. Storm cleanup seems like such a thankless task, especially in storm prone areas, but thankful that you didn't suffer more damage to your home and camp. Your flying geese blocks are looking great!

  2. So cute! I am going to try to resist the urge to start a project like this. For now. But I believe I have a layer cake that would be perfect! Anyway, I’m glad that you, your home and camp came through (relatively) unscathed from the hurricane.

  3. That's going to be a really nice quilt, Angie! Glad to hear your homes sustained no damage from the storm. Sorry to that many weren't as lucky!

  4. So glad no damage to either house and the cleanup work is nearly done. Those flying geese look great..... I have not used an actual camera in years... the phone cameras do take great photo's.

  5. Love your geese pretty--When I made my geese one, I was surprised how much I enjoyed making them...hugs, Julierose

  6. What a mess to clean up. I am glad that your homes were not damaged, but oh the clean up and the poor people who received so much damage. I like your FG. Take care and relax. Focus will come back when things calm down.

  7. I'm glad your cleanup wasn't any worse. I'm sorry so many are still dealing with so much. Your FG are fabulous. I'm heading to NOLA soon.

  8. It must be a tremendous relief to not have damage to either house. Lots of cleanup is better than repairing roofs and windows or worse. That silt looks like thick paste.

  9. I am glad you had a safe space to stay and your camp was mostly undamaged. It is a pretty place. Your photos are fine. Maybe a new battery will get to work like normal.

  10. wow what a lot of silt. Sorry for all that clean up but glad you don't have lots of damage.
    great flying geese!

  11. i LOVE your flying geese! i'm slowly starting to work with more triangles in my RSC projects... i'm going to put this one on the "to be considered" for 2022 RSC list. glad your mess is cleaned up- we've flooded a few times, and it's no fun!