New Orleans House Project

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Superb Owl Stitching

It's time again for the uniquely American extravaganza related to a championship football game (American football).  I'm amused at the changes in how the game is referenced since the National Football League (NFL) - governing organization of American football - has copyrighted the name commonly applied to the game:  S*per*owl.  Every business with a reason to refer to the super game has come up with alternate terms, so they don't have to pay royalties to the NFL.  My favorite by far is "Superb Owl".  

In honor of the game, I offer up an owl of my own - a barn owl we met while Geocaching a few years ago on the Woodlands Trail

I won't be doing any hand stitching during the game this year as I need to rest both wrists.  I've been experiencing numbness and tingling in both hands at night, so I'm trying to avoid all wrist-intensive activities for awhile.
  
I have been addressing some Austen Family Album blocks.  I decided to separate the blocks from this BOW and make two quilts.  One quilt will feature the browns, greens and oranges.  The other will have mainly yellow, pink and turquoise blocks.  

I consulted with the proprietor of one of my local quilt shops - The Quilted Owl - and she immediately suggested a great fabric for the sashing.  So far I've only completed the between-the-block sashing, but I'm very happy with the Color Weave fabric from P & B Textiles.  

I've already decided to share this quilt with my sister, with whom I share a love of books and reading.  

And now it's time to join the family (all my boys are home!) and watch the Superb Owl!