New Orleans House Project

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Burgoyne Surrounded by Neutrals

Most of my sewing time in August was wrapped up in completing a Sew Along, so I didn't spend much time playing with neutral scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

However, I really wanted to see if I could make a Burgoyne Surrounded block using neutral scraps.

I don't know if this block will fit in with all the rainbow-colored Burgoyne Surrounded blocks, but I'm sure happy with how it turned out!

I made five additional Pinwheel blocks for my collection.

That brings my total of neutral Pinwheel blocks to fifteen.  It's almost time to make a quilt from these three-inch blocks!

A few weeks ago, I shared a picture of a quilt made by Alex Anderson using neutral fabrics.  I've admired that quilt for years, and thought about trying to make it just by studying the picture (there's no pattern in the book featuring the quilt).  Thanks to some Google-searching, I discovered the quilt pattern is included in a "vintage" Alex Anderson book.

There are several fun quilts in here, but I'm all about the Stars and Pinwheels quilt (Alex is resting her arm on it in the book cover shot).  I won't be starting the quilt any time soon, but it's definitely on my Bucket List!

All good neutrals must come to an end.  The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for September is orange.  Here's just a sample of some orange scrappy strips that will get made into Pinwheel blocks and Four-Patch blocks.

If you love orange, there's more scrappy inspiration at Angela's Soscrappy blog.






20 comments:

  1. You have a lovely collection of oranges for the coming month. Last month's neutrals look good; I have been pleasantly surprised by everyone's wonderful neutral results. I'll be interested to see your totally neutral quilt so I hope it's turn comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Burg. Surr blocks and your neutral pinwheels will be lovely great work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a Low Volume quilt on my list for a long time, too, but somehow I keep getting sidetracked by other things! I like your neutral Burgoyne Surrounded block, and also those pinwheels. Won't it be fun to play with those oranges this month?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You created a spectacular NEUTRAL block and it looks like you are ready for sewing with ORANGE!! (Sorry about the deleted resopn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your neutral Burgoyne block is gorgeous! It is worthy of an entire quilt made up of them. And I can see why you'd like to do that pinwheels and stars quilt. There is a romantic softness to using neutrals, and it would be fun to explore that in a series of quilts or quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burgoyne is beautiful! There is something so subtle and sophisticated about neutrals. Glad you were able to find the pattern for your Ickes list quilt. Always fun to be able to have just the right quilt ready to start when the urge hits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how Burgoyne turned out. I think it deserves to be a center of a stunning wall quilt. Fun oranges to play with this month. I hope to pull some out later today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your neutral Burgoyne block is really lovely. The florals really make it delicate, almost like lace, I'm sure you will find a good use for it. I can see it as a medallion center. Have fun with orange, you've already got your jackolanterns and some great scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful!!!!! Love your Oranges. Luscious colors!
    had my 2nd CTS on left hand So ready to get with the program!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see an entire Burgoyne quilt made up of those fabulous neutrals. And Yes, in my mind orange should be the new 'neutral' - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, that's really elegant, Angie. And those oranges are sure looking promising too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your neutral blocks are lovely. I'm tempted to make a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yowzer...that lacey fabric is perfect in your Burgoyne Surrounded. If it doesn't fit in, it might have to be a starter block for a new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Burgoyne is exquisite, and a cute bunch of little pinwheels. Looks like you have a good collection of oranges for September.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love that BS in neutrals. Wouldn't an all neutral BS be wonderful? But, on the other hand, I think that Alex Anderson neutral quilt is definitely a bucket lister! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That neutral Burgoyne really surprises me, because I couldn't picture it at all - certainly not that it would be so pretty. Well done!
    Hmm... A neutral quilt with a BS center, surrounded by pinwheels and stars? You could be halfway there...

    ReplyDelete
  18. The neutral Burgoyne looks awesome! Very sophisticated, muted, classy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have that book and I made that quilt in all yellows for my niece. It's a great quilt and so much fun to make.

    ReplyDelete