New Orleans House Project

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Summer Star Scrappy SAL: Obsession

Our cable and internet service was out for a good chunk of the day today.  That's probably a good thing, as I had been obsessively watching coverage of Hurricane Harvey and feeling depressed and hopeless.   Based on past experience, my best way to fight depression and hopelessness is to sew.

I've been working on completing Diane Knott's Summer Star Scrappy Sew-Along.  I finished most of the body of the quilt last week.
All that remains to be done is sew the four long rows together to complete the star.

Diane offered different options for the quilt borders.  I decided I wanted my quilt to look like her sample: double strips of pieced squares separated by a white strip.  
Diane came up with a great way to piece the borders, making strip piecing feasible.

So, I obsessively pieced border components yesterday and today.  
Here are the blocks for the border corners.  

And a stack of pieced strips that will eventually become the borders.  The strips are sewn together into blocks containing five strips, which are then assembled to become the borders.  I'm hopeful I will be able to assemble a block here and there during the week - keep the fabric therapy going!  (BTW, there are 180 of these strips.  I definitely made a dent in my blue scraps, chunks and yardage!)

If you have been watching news from Texas and are wondering how to help, I have a few suggestions.  Last year, when the Baton Rouge area of Louisiana had catastrophic flooding, local agencies seemed to provide the fastest and most useful services.  I'm not knocking the Red Cross, but I really prefer to give my money to hyper-local groups.  This link from Texas Monthly magazine has some good ideas.  

Whenever bad things were happening, a friend of mine used to say she was going to mix up a big batch of Voodoo Vinaigrette to make things right again.  I'm definitely going to be mixing up a batch of it myself, and including lots of prayers and Hurricane-Go-Away-Vibes as well.  I hope you'll join me!




14 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to post. Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece lives outside Houston and we've been watching too. Your quilt is looking so wonderful but it looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please be safe, looks like you could get some of the storm too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo - I really like this in the blues. THnk you for the link to local ways to help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blues are so beautiful! As much as I love random scrap quilts, it is so beautiful in these simple blues. I feel for everyone in TX too. I know it must be twice a hard for you after dealing with the devastation of Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic progress. Quilting can definitely be a stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what can i say--just simply gorgeous--you are flying through this one for sure, too. Mine is languishing for some reason...how big did yours come out??
    so glad you had this to help calm yourself. Hope you are okay...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I would have had time to do Diane's SAL, my quilt would have looked a lot like yours--lol--I love the blue! It looks like a really big quilt too--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifull quilt, my step daughter wants one of these

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see your post - I'd been about to email you to ask how you were doing.
    Beautiful star! And I'm amazed how fast you put it together - flying fingers, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I read this post, Harvey is hitting Louisiana. I hope you stay safe. We have lots of family in the Houston area. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG !! This will be a wonderful quilt !
    Every day we watch on TV the disaster in Texas... what a sadness....fingers crossed for you in Louisiana...Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

    I'm with you on the Hurrican-Go-Away vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! So eye catching. Have you had much rain? In Baton Rouge we have done well, not a lot of rain, thank goodness. Just my flashbacks with all the TV coverage.

    ReplyDelete