New Orleans House Project

Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Last of the Red Hot Scraps

I had fun digging through the last of the red scraps (and a few fabric chunks) to finish up my Rainbow Scrap projects for the month.

One of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects is making pinwheel blocks.  I have a specific plan for them, but I need to have all the colors completed before I start putting them together.  

Some red selvages got sliced and diced into Rail Fence blocks.

Just for fun, I added some purple and aqua blocks from earlier RSC months.

I had to go digging through the fabric bins to find large enough red chunks to make the wonky borders for my New Orleans houses.  As I was choosing the fabrics, I was really pleased with how the reds "worked" with the house blocks.  But after looking at the bordered blocks on my design wall all week, I was a little worried about the border fabrics being too dark.

Last night, I pulled out some of the already bordered blocks to see if everyone would play well together.  I decided my worries were pointless.  I'm looking forward to the finish on this project!

That's the end of my red scrappiness for March.  Red was fun, but I'm looking forward to a new color and new scrappy challenges.  There's more red scrappiness on view at Angela's SoScrappy blog.





17 comments:

  1. I adore your selvage rail fence blocks!! And the houses! And the pinwheels, too. They looks so fresh. Like you, I enjoyed working with red but am looking forward to a new color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your houses, Angie! And all those red fabrics you use for the pinwheels. Those selveges blocks will made an interesting quilt. I will be
    working with some more red till next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those houses are coming along great! The dark will really offset those brights when they come up ...yellow and pink and orange. Great job using up red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is looking great. ! I especially love your wonky houses.. They look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your red blocks. You are right, the red bordered house blocks look great mixed up with the previous colours. You need light and dark in a quilt and your depth of red colour shows that perfectly. Wonderful pinwheels -looking forward to seeing the finished quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many fun blocks to look at! The selvage rail fences are great! I have never been a selvage saver, but those blocks make me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of fun blocks! Those house blocks are such fun and so are the pinwheels. Looking forward to seeing all three projects come together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your houses are just terrific! It's going to be such a fun quilt.
    And there's something about pinwheels that always makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tipsy houses, the more the merrier. The selvage blocks are really a good idea in that setting. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your houses are great! I'm also looking forward to a new color, but I still have a couple reds lurking about that need to get done....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your RED scraps really added some POP to your RSC project. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made some very nice blocks with your red scraps. I love all the houses, that is going to be a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Orleans houses remind me of earlier blog posts with all the beautiful colourful house photos. The RSC colours make great backgounds for your little houses. Love the red and white 9 patches. Definitely one of my favourite blocks. The selvage rails look like fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Red is one of those colors that just gives all the other blocks a real pop. The selvage blocks you're working on is going to be a very cool quilt when all the colors are included.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those red pinwheels have me drooling. Gotta file that idea away for the future (I'd better live a good long time - and be able to sew the whole time!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The New Orleans houses are so cute. The different colored borders are going to be great together in a quilt!
    The pinwheels are great, I love the red and white combinations.
    I need to start keeping my selvedges...yours looked good, and that will be a fun quilt too!

    ReplyDelete