I can't say for sure when I started constructing blocks for the quilt - definitely over a year ago. I decided to use white cotton fabric as foundation for the blocks instead of paper. Once I got the foundation blocks cut, I dug through the shirting scraps and started slicing pieces into strings. I didn't think I'd have enough fabric variety, so I threw in some sliced up novelty fabrics I had also purchased with my dad in mind.
All the string components and blocks are at our weekend camp, so I only get to work on construction occasionally. This weekend was one of those occasions. I finally finished enough blocks to lay out my first star. Only 8 stars left to complete!
As I worked on the individual blocks (light blocks, dark blocks and half & half blocks), I was concerned that some of my "light" fabrics weren't light enough. I think I will have to be careful in how I use some of the lights, but when the quilt is done and quilted, I don't think it will matter all that much. I'm looking forward to making more string blocks next weekend!
*The Spring Clean Quilt was published in Issue 8 of the online sewing magazine Fat Quarterly. I've tried to find an active link for the magazine, or a stand-alone publication of the pattern, but so far I haven't been successful. Apparently there are some issues with Fat Quarterly's website, and it's currently inaccessible. I'll keep checking so I can add an active link to the pattern in case anyone is interested in making the quilt.