New Orleans House Project

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Beginnings and Endings

It's the beginning of another year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The RSC has had a great deal of staying power, thanks to hostess Angela and the scrap-loving participants.  This year's challenge will continue the theme of using up scraps following a monthly color dedication. 

Since I've vowed to try to finish a flock of UFOs (or at least make progress on them) this year, I'm keeping my RSC plans on the simple side.  I'll definitely be working on finishing some RSC projects from previous years.  However, I can't stay out of the boxes of scrappy strips and squares, so there will be at least one new RSC project, too!

I knew I wanted to use 2 inch squares for this year's RSC project, as I have a large box full of 2 inch squares and strips (see Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Users System).  I originally thought I'd do postage stamp blocks, but I wasn't happy with lack of variety of light and dark fabrics in the stash box.  Next I tried white/light fabrics mixed with the purple squares and liked the result much better.  

Then I remembered Diane Knott had a fun pattern based on squares and HSTs in her book Scrap Quilt Secrets.  The quilt is called "Windblown Wishes".  Diane uses strip-piecing to make her 25 patch block centers, but the same look can be accomplished with scrappy squares.  I used my scrappy 2 inch strips and the Easy Angle ruler to make the HSTs.   

I was so pleased with the outcome I was ready to start making more "Windblown" blocks in other colors, so I think this project will be a keeper.

This week Angela has also invited RSC participants to share previous scrappy rainbow projects.  

I have posted about unfinished RSC projects in the past, but I've not taken a look back at completed projects.  I counted up seven quilts that were a direct result of RSC inspiration.  All but one of these quilts (the green Trip Around the World) were gifted to family or friends.

I also counted up six flimsies that were created as a result of the RSC.  I hope to have the Scrap Jar Star in reproduction fabrics (top left), the RSC Sampler (top right) and the Carpenter's Wheel (bottom left) quilted and complete by the end of 2017.

I worked on the New Orleans House Project in 2013.  The blocks have been waiting for attention since then.  One of my 2017 goals is to get these blocks moving toward a finished quilt.

These 4 inch Sawtooth Star blocks were an RSC project from 2015-2016.  I want to set the blocks medallion-style with an appliqued piece in the center.  The applique center has yet to be started, so this probably won't get finished any time soon. 

There are a few other RSC-inspired projects floating around in my studio, but I don't have up-to-date pictures OR plans for finishing them right now.  

As always on Saturday, it's Rainbow Scrap Challenge link-up day.  I can't wait to see all of this week's RSC inspiration!
 





20 comments:

  1. Have FUN with those Windblown Wishes and finishing some of your previous RSC projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all the inspiration you're posting here! So many beautiful quilts, both finished and unfinished. And a brand new block for 2017 that looks like fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot to be proud of these last few years. I like your purple and white blocks. Since I also have a pile of 2-inch strips and an Easy Anle ruler, I,should be able to figure out how to cut them. Is there a UTube tute on that subject? I wish you many blessings in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So many wonderful quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Windblown Wishes block and look forward to seeing more of them this year. You have so many lovely RSC quilts, and I am thinking about stealing one or two of your ideas for my projects this year. Thanks for sharing all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm speechless. I just love that you were inspired to use this block for your fun rainbow challenge. I'm catching up on my blog reading and oh my gosh your posts kept me busy for a while. You've been up to some really fun stuff and I so enjoyed seeing your finishes and your plans. I have a feeling this is going to be another awesome year for quilting! Thanks for sharing so much eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mix of old and new. Hopefully you will see some more fabulous finishes this year. Wind blown wishes looks like a great scrap buster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing variety in your RSC projects.....so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having fun looking at your Scrap Jar Star quilts - and all the others, too! Such a besutiful variety! Your new block is fun to see as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Windblown Wishes block is going to be a beautiful rainbow quilt. You have made many rainbow quilts and they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing all this inspiration to use my scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Windblown project and you have so many other lovely RSC ones here it is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Windblown Wishes looks like a great RSC block. I love anything with HSTs and scraps! I remember those NO Houses and the great NO history you provided that RSC year. Those were fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that is a fun block! Love the show of all the completed RSC Quilts! So much variety and pretty quilts you have created over the years. It will be fun to see those windblown blocks grow in color each month. Good luck with the finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely -- your work is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post - love the windblown wishes and I also like that last quilt - bottom left in the photo above the house project. You've reminded me that I started something RSC I a couple years ago but gave up when I was finding it too hard with the colours.... perhaps I need to find that project

    ReplyDelete
  16. your purples are off to a great start! I love the RSC lineup- so many great quilts in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You have done so many RSC blocks and quilts. What a variety of scrappy blocks working so well together. Diane's block idea works great with your scrappy interpretation. You're going to have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful eye candy! It is like diving into a box of ribbon candy. Have fun with this year's rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many beautiful quilts, Angie. RSC has been great inspiration for you. Thanks for the link to Bonnie's scrap users system...I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely rainbow scrap projects
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete