New Orleans House Project

Saturday, January 28, 2017

A Plethora of Purple Piecing

Over the past two weeks I've spent a large amount of my sewing time playing with scraps and experimenting with ideas for projects I've had in mind.  Not everything I tried was successful, but that's OK - it was a learning experience!  On the other hand, I did make a serious dent in my collection of purple scraps (the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for January) and purple selvages.

I wanted to do another selvage project and used up most of my purple selvages on an experiment that didn't quite work out.  I salvaged the last of the selvages for these Rail Fence blocks.  I'll keep making these in the RSC colors through the year and see how many I have at the end.   

I really hadn't planned to start this project, but somehow I found myself making pinwheel blocks and I couldn't stop.  These finish at 3 inches.  I have a definite plan in mind for them, and will use the RSC as an opportunity to make more blocks as the year goes on.

After all that scrap cutting, I had quite a batch of purple 2 inch squares, so I threw them in a basket and began pairing them up as 4 patch block components.  Not sure where that will lead, but at least I have a good supply of leader-enders.

When I give quilts as gifts, I usually like to make a pillowcase for the recipient to store the quilt in.   For the recent t-shirt quilt I made, I wanted to try making a large drawstring bag for the quilt instead.  I found a pattern online for a lined drawstring bag, and decided to make a practice version using some purple scraps.  The bag went together easily and I loved the finished version!  I was able to adapt the bag "recipe" for a large version and gave it away with the quilt.

I spent a chunk of time this morning putting the finishing touches on an unfinished RSC project, but I'll save that for Tuesday's link-up.  Now it's time for tea and some time perusing other RSC projects at today's link-up.



21 comments:

  1. Leaders and enders always manage to turn into something eventually. Glad you found so many fun purple fabrics to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A plethora indeed and this pillowcase storage is just over the top in regards to gifting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a couple of those experimental that didn't quite work projects, too. Your pinwheels are going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your purple blocks. Your draw string bag is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of pretty PURPLE scrap sewing, but that BAG?! It's GORGEOUS!!! I would love to hear about the mods you made to make a draw string bag big enough for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to get a quilt wrapped in such a useful way. So many pretty purples, or is it violet or plum?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty purple projects! Love the bag you made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your purple blocks, but the drawstring bag is my favorite! Gee, even your blog header matches the color of the month! Way to go, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to look at all that you are working on, the rail fence with selvages are lovely and you've got some great fabrics in those pinwheels, and the quilt bag what a nice way to give a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your purples look amazing! Love seeing the selvedge blocks. Great drawstring tote...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. pretty purples! I have a definite deficit of purples here. I love the pinwheels

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tis the season for purples...you have some good ones! I have a hard time finding good purples, but I'm always on the lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got a good start on some fun RSC projects. Looking forward to seeing where you go with the pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the gift bag! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm definitely going to look into that gift bag...I like your selvedge blocks- I've never jumped on that bandwagon, but I like the quilts and projects that I see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a leader/ender person but I do love making simple blocks like pinwheels. Once you have a lot of simple blocks it seems the layouts are endless. I've got a selvage project going on now but it appears after I make a big quilt out of them I'll be looking for more ideas like your rail fence.

    And that gift bag is gorgeous and a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your plethora of purple is terrific. You'll be working with all the different colors in quite a few new ideas. Should be a fun year .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Positively perfect pretty purple pinwheels!
    Your gift bag is gorgeous, too! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful gift bag, so two gifts in one. I'm glad you salvaged the selvages. On to the next color. Have a good time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really do have some beautiful purple fabrics! What a nice idea making a bag to put the quilt in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your purple blocks, strings and pinwheels, are very nice. I love the idea of gifting a pillow case or drawstring bag with a quilt.

    ReplyDelete