New Orleans House Project

Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Scrappy Finish

As I mentioned earlier this month, I don't need much in the way of brown scrappy blocks for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  That being said, I did find two great brown print 100% cotton men's shirts at an estate sale last weekend. 




I love paisley fabrics and I have an even greater appreciation for them after learning more about the fabric style during Barbara Brackman's Stars in a Time Warp series.





This shirt not only has a great paisley design, it also has a fancy machine ground - the very small background dots - known as picotage.


Once I get the shirts "deboned", I'll use some of the fabric for my collection of 4" Sawtooth Star blocks.

Despite my lack of brown scrappy blocks, I have finished a Rainbow Scrap project from a few years ago.  
I started this scrappy, green Trip Around the World quilt in April of 2013.  I was determined to bust through a huge stash of green scraps and old (ugly!) yardage.  At the time, bloggers everywhere seemed to be making scrappy Trips using Bonnie Hunter's process.  I jumped in with enthusiasm! 

After finishing the top, I pieced together the backing using more fabrics in my stash.  I then handed it off to Cindy Braiwick, my LAQ, to work her magic.  She used a wonderful leafy frond design for the body of the quilt.
In the border, she quilted frogs, turtles, alligators and lily pads! 

I even found a piece of yardage in my stash to use for the bias binding.  The quilt will live on one of the beds at our camp, where the color green and the wildlife in the borders will fit in perfectly!

If you have been on the fence about making a scrappy Trip Around the World quilt, I highly recommend it.  It's a great scrap buster and Bonnie Hunter's technique is fun and easy.  I'm definitely thinking of making another one, this time in an attempt to bust through more blue scraps.

There's lots more scrappy inspiration at this week's link-up for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

 



 

22 comments:

  1. Another fabulous finish! Such a wonderful variety of greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely finish. And I love the paisley shirts. So 60s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that white outlining on the scrappy quilt--great shirt finds!! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like paisley too. Reminds me of the 70s. We used to call paisley shirts sperm shirts because we thought they looked like sperms. Weird, I know.

    What fun quilting and perfect for a camp quilt. I've never made a TATW unless you count the one I did with 6 inch squares of travel themed fabrics in a TATW layout. Someday...I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your scrappy trips quilt is great! I did one this summer/fall in bright (BRIGHT) fabrics and we love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome quilt and the quilting is so fun! I bet it looks great on the bed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great feeling to have another quilt finished. The quilting is divine! So appropriate for a cottage quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great scrappy trip around the world. Was just looking at that pattern today at Bonnie's site. Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is wonderful - such a fabulous finish! I just love paisley fabrics as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love paisleys, they are such beautiful fabrics. They always strike me as slightly exotic. The Scrappy Trip turned out beautifully. I've started one, but it got sidelined.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scrappy Trips is on my to-do list. (You know, the list that includes about 87 quilts at last count...) But seeing yours makes me want to nudge it a little closer to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your quilt turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great finish - I love all the greens! Seeing your shirts has just reminded me that I have batiks from Indonesia so I must check in case I have any browns in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and so wonderful finish for this quilt ! And the quilting is awesome !
    Love the shirts too but never saw these kind of fabric (on a shirt)in France !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your Scrappy Trip finish!!! Those greens are mesmerizing - like falling into a rainforest :*)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your scrappy trip quilt--very calming colors! It makes me want to make another one! It's such a great way to use scraps and looks good when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, your ugly greens certainly rallied and made a lovely quilt. It's a great finish. I've wanted to make one for a long time and everytime I see someone's finish I think I just need to do. The quilting design in the border is super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those shirts are wonderful. I haven't done BH's technique but I'm tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The trip quilt is so nice and I like the way you did the border. You're lucky to have Cindy, who is a real artist with the long arm. Your paisley is just like the ones in BB's series, which taught me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great use of shirts - that paisley is a good one!
    beautiful texture on that quilting

    ReplyDelete