New Orleans House Project

Monday, September 7, 2015

Spider Web Blocks: Is the End in Sight?

The long Labor Day weekend gave me some extra sewing time at the camp.  I've been working on these string-pieced triangles since at least 2012, but it was more of a fabric therapy project than a planned quilt with a finishing date in sight. 

Earlier this year I decided on a plan for the blocks, and cut enough light yellow center "kite" shapes to finish piecing all the triangles.  This weekend my trusty Singer Model 15 (treadle) and I stitched the last of the purple and gold strings onto their foundations.  Now I just have to piece the triangles into squares and rip off all the foundation papers.  Maybe I can still finish this top before the end of the year?!

I still had a big collection of strings left after piecing the triangles, so I took a few minutes to tame them into some additional useful quilt block parts.  The longest strings were trimmed to 1 1/2" width and will go in the bin for 1 1/2" strips.  Smaller remnants were trimmed to various lengths and 1 1/2" width for Lego quilt blocks.  The remaining bits will go in the crumb bin for further adventures in crumb and string piecing.  Very satisfying to have everything neatly wrapped up!


9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Is that your sewing machine at your camp? Does it stay there? If so, that is so great! A machine everywhere you hang out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made some progress! I spent the whole weekend cleaning and rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So diligent in trimming your scraps. You will be thankful later when you pull them out ready to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing says happiness like a bin of 1.5" strips! Well, and chocolate, of course. So, 1.5" strips and chocolate. And bacon...
    Never mind. Love your purple spiderwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabric therapy project can be very fun (and helpful). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh! Doesn't it feel good to know a project is coming together to the finish? And getting left over chunks and pieces cut up and put away for later - heaven!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned to sew on a treadle staying with my grandmother. she didn't use it because she sewed over a finger once but she let my six yr old self use it. It started a lifelong love affair with sewing. Her mother bought the machine in the late 1800's

    ReplyDelete