New Orleans House Project

Saturday, September 5, 2015

RSC 15: It's All About the Prep

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for September is Orange.  I've come to love working with the color orange; I have the RSC to thank for challenging me to use this color successfully in my quilts!

I haven't done much block construction so far this month, but I did get all my prep work done.  Having my scraps cut into commonly-used size strips and squares and sorted by color makes scrappy block prep go quickly.

These will become 9 patch variation blocks.  I like to lay out a block next to my sewing machine and use the pieces as leader-enders while working on other projects.  They go together quickly!

I also cut the parts for two Sugar Bowl blocks.  I'm looking forward to assembling all these blocks in a quilt.

Orange bits for 4" Sawtooth Stars.  These will be assembled with white background fabric; I have the strips cut, but not the individual pieces.

And for something completely different - cheddar!  These parts will become Scrap Jar Star blocks.

I also dug through the orange crumb jar looking for pieces to become Maverick Stars.   

I'm hoping to have lots of glorious sewing time this weekend.  It's a holiday weekend here in the US, so there should be plenty of opportunity to sew between now and Tuesday morning.  My Dear Husband has already announced plans to do most of the cooking, so I'm looking forward to some stitching therapy!  

My first stop will be Angela's Soscrappy blog to see what orange fun the other Rainbow Scrappers have cooked up.

 

 

20 comments:

  1. You are quite organized ...lots of lovely orange pieces! I just have to make potato salad for a Monday picnic but I do have to make quite a lot of it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so many different shades of orange- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nifty method you've got going there--love that pumpkin face fabric...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right... it's all about the prep and organization.
    Have a wonderful therapeutic sewing session :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to seeing all those goodies made up - what a great assembly of color! (Now I need to go find my binder clips - hadn't thought of using those to keep things together. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all ready for a month of orange. I used to have trouble finding enough orange, but the RSC has helped me round out my scrap stash

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prepping block parts is DEFINITELY the way to go!! Enjoy your ORANGE sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have very much orange in my stash or scraps. I had to purchase some recently for another sew along.

    I look forward to seeing your orange RSC block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see all the orange! Nice prep work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting prepped is half the battle. Now the fun begins as you stitch up a storm in orange. Great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to have all the prep work done. The fabrics are yummy! Enjoy your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your prep work is very impressive and I look forward to all these lovely orange block creations. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really should follow your good example and be more organised, especially on getting the colour for the month right! You have a really good collection of oranges in your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have started to prep my blocks and sew them as leader/enders. The blocks go together so much quicker when you do the prep work. It looks like you will have lots of pretty orange blocks to sew this weekend. Enjoy your sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurray for extra sewing time! I agree with you: prep time makes all the difference when it comes to actually sewing. No stopping and starting, trying to find the right size patch, the right color or print, etc. Definitely a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is all about that darned prep work, isn't it? I didn't think I liked orange but it sure does make one happy looking at all the orange variety out there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are going to be yummy blocks! Look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many wonderful orange prints!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks like you're having fun with orange!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh...you're one of those orderly types lol

    ReplyDelete