New Orleans House Project

Saturday, April 4, 2015

RSC 15: Purple On My Mind

A new month means a new color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The color for April is purple, so I will be having a fine time using up purple scraps this month.  Not only is purple my favorite color, it also plays a big role in Louisiana culture.  Purple is one of the colors of Mardi Gras and also one of the school colors for our flagship institution of higher learning - Louisiana State University.  I have plenty of purple scraps left over from making LSU-themed quilts!
I started off the month by making some purple 9 patch variation blocks.  These were easy, because I already had a big stack of 2.5" squares and strips stashed in my 2.5" scrap bin.

I also was bitten by the 4" Sawtooth Star bug.  I gave up resistance to starting a new project and jumped into Barbara Brackman's Stars in a Time Warp QAL.  Instead of making the stars at 6", mine are 4" - thanks to Barb of Fun with Barb.  The first star was a practice block, so I just grabbed some blue and white scraps.  I liked the result so much I decided to make these blocks for the RSC, too!  I have no idea what these stars will become, but for now they're just fun to make!

Speaking of fun - Gold Brick eggs are a New Orleans tradition at Easter.  They're delicious solid chocolate eggs filled with chopped pecans.  I had no idea they made a dark chocolate version - guess what I will be looking for later today?! 

There will be lots of purple inspiration at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge link-up, so do hop on over!

 

18 comments:

  1. Love you little stars-- everything small is cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I love your purple 9 patches- I did mine like that last year. I'm pretty sure I was inspired by yours! I'm doing a 9 patch again, but with only 5 COM, as I don't have as much variety for the 2nd year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh- I forgot- I like your little sawtooth stars! they're one of my favorite blocks. I;'m working on a BOM, and there are 72 sawtooth stars- 4½". thankfully they're done now, but they nearly killed me! those points are SO TINY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stars and the 36-patch blocks are certainly a good way to use purple scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your stars!!! great fabrics bright and fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 9 patches . I keep finding more and more scrap blocks on the blogs I visit that I would like to make someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm going to add those little stars to my list of misc 4 inch scrappy blocks for a "kitchen sink" quilt! I just love small blocks and big quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. chocolate! You slipped that in. We are off sugar right now... I saw a recipe for croissant with Easter candy in the middle of pastry, baked and it made a chocolate croissant! Do they even make chocolate beignets?
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stars are great. I love the material you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blocks for RSC! now dark choc with pecans--that's my idea of an Easter treat for sure! Enjoy...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't talk about purple or your blocks since I saw THE CANDY!!! We moved from Harvey to Texas last June, so this is our first Easter in 39 years without Elmer's Gold Brick Eggs and Heavenly Hash!! So that means no Easter candy for us 😪. So many people think New Orleans is all about the music and seafood, but Elmer's ranks really high with us!!!
    BTW, love your stars and I have more purple in my stash than any other color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful purple fabrics you have to play with! Those eggs look heavenly. I just filled some plastic eggs with candy for G to hide later tonight for the morning hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of your blocks are lovely. What a nice idea to pop a white block in the centre of a 9 patch. Doesn't it lift the block.
    Well some people aren't keen on purple, I can take or leave chocolate. Mostly leave. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angie, it all looks great! I am going to try you Sugar Bowl in purples, blues, pinks and yellow. Exciting times to be a scrap quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The nine patches are quite lovely in purple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your purple blocks. Your stars, too. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely purple blocks and they look good with the white centre.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty purple, cute stars and YUM. Gold Brick Eggs seem like a wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete