New Orleans House Project

Monday, February 16, 2015

Paisley Parade: Finished!

Just in time for Presidents' Day - I finished hand-sewing the binding on my Paisley Parade quilt.
The weather has not been good for outdoor photography, so I settled for an indoor shot.  With the camera on my new phone.  Needless to say,  I have much to learn about using this new phone camera!
Here's a detail shot of some of the fabrics.  The quilt and the backing (a blue plaid) are both pretty busy, and it was impossible to get a good picture of the quilting.  It's a variation on a fleur de lis design, beautifully done by my local longarm quilter, Cindy Braiwick.

The quilt is from a Minick & Simpson pattern:  Paisley Parade.  It was offered as a kit when the pattern appeared in Quilt Sampler Magazine in 2008.  I finished the quilt top in 2013 and it has been sitting in the binding queue for a l o n g time!  The finished quilt measures 56" x 56", which will fit perfectly on the quilt display rack at the camp.

Although it is Presidents' Day everywhere in the U. S., in New Orleans it is also Lundi Gras, the day before Mardi Gras.  It's only been in the past decade or so that Lundi Gras has become firmly entrenched in the scheme of Mardi Gras.  We don't really do much to celebrate, except take the day off from work.  The weather forecast is calling for stormy weather later this evening, so it will be a good night to stay home and do some binge-watching on Netflix while I start stitching the binding on the next quilt in the queue!