New Orleans House Project

Sunday, November 23, 2014

New String Piecing Inspiration

I have been a fan of string piecing since my earliest days as a quilter.  I love the economy of using scraps and the soothing therapy of piecing without much concern for accuracy and matching points!

A new book devoted to string piecing has been making the rounds in quilting blogland, and I ordered my own copy after reading the first online review I happened across.  Those of you who followed the New Orleans House Quilt Project will know I was immediately smitten with the string-pieced houses on the cover!  I see another set of rainbow-hued house blocks in my future.
Simply Strings: A Modern Approach to a Traditional Quilt Block by Rana Heredia has some wonderful new ideas for string piecing.  There are instructions for quilts in various sizes, table runners, wall hangings and even a tote bag.  There are new variations on the typical geometric string-pieced block, as well as modern, organic interpretations such as string-pieced leaves and pumpkins.
One quilt that caught my eye immediately is "Bee Yourself".  The quilt measures 34 x 37", but I could also see three of the blocks used as a table runner.  I might have to play with this over the Thanksgiving holiday!  Did I mention full-size pattern pieces are included with the book?

No affiliation with the author, just very inspired by her work.