New Orleans House Project

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Turning to Teal

This week afforded several opportunities to play with teal (aqua, turquoise, not-blue-not-green) scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Before I started participating in the RSC, I really didn't have much in the way of teal fabric or scraps.  Thankfully, all that has changed!  I discovered I really enjoy working with this color range, and my stash has increased accordingly.  One thing I have noticed about the teals is that they don't all play well with each other.  That's OK, it adds to the fun of the challenge!
First up, a teal (turquoise?) Friendship Star block for the RSC Sampler.  This one turned out a little more "low volume" than I anticipated, but it used up some never-ending scraps, so I'm happy.
A nice assortment of lights and darks made it into a 16-patch block.  I didn't have enough light and dark scraps for a second block, so I'm hopeful I'll have that taken care of by the end of the month!
A 9-patch variation made from the 2 1/2 inch strips and squares bin.
Half-square triangles ready to be pieced for a Carpenter's Wheel block.  Now that I have the cutting order down, it was easy to cut the HSTs from 2 1/2 inch strips using the Easy Angle Ruler.
The Maverick/Wonky stars were great fabric therapy one night after work.  These are such fun to make, I can see them as an ongoing scrap therapy project indefinitely!

Today is link-up day with the other Rainbow Scrappers.  I'm going to go over there and get inspired, then tear through some more teal scraps!






13 comments:

  1. You have great looking aqua/teal fabrics. I like the different blocks you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great fabrics. I like it when the colours play together boisterously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wonky stars are too cute! I had the same problem with my Friendship Star but I think it will all work out when the other blocks fit in around it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great stars - fun color to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find you 16 patch and you 9 patch very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did have fun this week with the teals. Very pretty blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stars just make me smile. So cute. Looks like you have the carpenter star pattern perfected. So organized!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your idea of scrap therapy projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your teals! The fabrics just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cute blocks! I'm glad to hear that you are boosting your aqua/teal stash - everyone needs more aqua in their life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your assortment of teal fabrics! Those stars really make me smile. Isn't it fun that we are learning new colors we like to play with? I had no orange in my stash when I started this challenge years ago... now I have a good assortment. Who knew they would add that sparkle to scrappy quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to be ahead of the game! I have a few teal blocks to cut and sew when I get home from work today!

    ReplyDelete