New Orleans House Project

Monday, September 2, 2013

Better Late Than Never: Wrapping Up Red

Well!!  That will teach me to try to blog while traveling - using a new iPad blogging program!

I wrote TWO versions of the same blog entry on Saturday and both were lost to the ether when I attempted to publish them with my new-to-me iPad blogging program.  Talk about frustrating!  I'll skip all the boring details and just say I'll be sure to test out any future iPad blogging programs before I attempt to use them from the road.

This past Saturday was the last day of August and the last day of scrappy red stitching for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  

I wrapped up my use of red scraps by making a few more red leader-ender spools.  I dug deep in the red scraps, including scraps from my Grandmother's Choice blocks, for these spools.

I was also inspired to make one more happy, scrappy house block, although it's really a red, white and blue house!  These scraps are well-aged:  they're from a fat quarter "souvenir" bundle I picked up in an Atlanta-area quilt shop one summer after dropping my boys at summer camp in north Georgia.

The last red New Orleans house for August is actually a hotel - the Le Richelieu Hotel in the French Quarter.  The hotel is actually two different buildings stitched together (how quilt-like!) to make a new whole.  The building on the right is an example of a double gallery house and was built in 1845.  The building on the left was once used as a macaroni factory!


5 comments:

  1. Oh I love those red spools! And of course, your house block is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Red Wrap Up! I really like your houses and spools...I wonder what color will be up next? Brown, beige, gold--Autumnal colors...hmmmm hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty spools and love your house. I too wonder if it will be brown, black, white or those baby shades next month. I am crossing my fingers for brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! I wondered if you were traveling :*) I use BlogPress when traveling. Although it has lots of limitations, it seems to be fairly reliable, or at least it has been in the past. So many times they update these things and mess them up in the process. Love your red house! Very 4th of July-ish!!! And that looks like a hotel I would love to visit someday :*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! I wondered if you were traveling :*) I use BlogPress when traveling. Although it has lots of limitations, it seems to be fairly reliable, or at least it has been in the past. So many times they update these things and mess them up in the process. Love your red house! Very 4th of July-ish!!! And that looks like a hotel I would love to visit someday :*)

    ReplyDelete