New Orleans House Project

Friday, April 26, 2013

Rainbow Scrap Quilt 1.0

Last night I put the final stitches in the binding of one of my 2012 Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.

I used the blog-popular Granny Square quilt block and made multiple squares throughout the year, following the Rainbow Scrap Challenge monthly color inspiration.

The blocks were assembled with sashing and cornerstones.  I added a freeform pieced scrap border for additional interest and size.

My local longarm quilter Cindy Braiwick helped me out by quilting a flowery-feathery all-over design

Early on in the challenge, I decided this quilt would be gifted to my niece.  It was fun thinking of her every week as I constructed the various blocks.  I included this fussy-cut one to honor her profession of teaching.

I tend to be lackadaisical about labeling my quilts.  Not so with this one - although I've digitally removed the inscription 'cuz I'm funny about sharing personal info and mushy stuff.

Many thanks to Angela at Soscrappy for the year's worth of inspiration and to all the Rainbow Scrappers for their words of encouragement!  It was wonderful fun to share with everyone!