New Orleans House Project

Monday, October 11, 2021

Strings of Flamingos

I got to spend some time with my Singer Model 15 (treadle) sewing machine and a box of flamingo strings this weekend.

After making a hexie quilt featuring flamingo fabrics, I had lots of scraps.  I decided a string quilt was in order, and sliced lots of leftover fabric into 1.5 inch strips.  

 
I have made lots of string quilts, but never one using the diamond shape.  I cut the templates from a roll of newsprint-weight paper I had hanging around.
 
Once the strings were stitched onto the paper, I used an acrylic ruler and rotary cutter to trim the edges to fit the diamond template.

Before long, I had six diamonds pieced, enough for a string star!

I originally thought I would set the diamond shapes in herringbone-style strips, but after looking at the star setting I had some other inspirational thoughts.  I'm still working out my ideas, so we'll have to wait and see where inspiration leads!