I have not been blogging much recently, because most of my quilting activity has involved hand-stitching bindings. I've finished the binding on one quilt and started another, but there are still FOUR more in the pile of un-bound quilts!
And why have I been focused on all this binding? Because I'm still on a kick to finish up some UFOs!
This quilt got finished up earlier this week. It's had a final trip through the washer and dryer and I'm more than happy with how it softened up and got crinkly.
The weather is not conducive to outdoor pictures today, but I wanted to document the quilt before mailing it off to a family member. This quilt started out as an effort to use up a big stock of red, white and blue scraps from a previous quilt. First I made the 16-patch blocks, then added the pinwheels (inspired by a Bonnie Hunter quilt). Next, a red border followed by an HST zig-zag border (maybe my favorite type of border?!) and another dark blue border to frame everything.
My local long-arm quilter, Cindy Braiwick, had fun adding some patriotic quilting elements.
She added lots of stars, some words, and other patriotic symbols. The quilt is a gift for my uncle, who is retired from the US Air Force.
The quilting showed up better on the back of the quilt, although I had to tweak the color to improve the visual.
And yup - I remembered to add a label!
Another quilt on the Finish It! list is Modern Crosses. I should probably call this Not Modern Crosses, as I used reproduction fabrics instead of modern fabrics. These are blue blocks for September's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color.
I needed five more blocks to complete the setting, so I chose some multi-color florals.
I wasn't in love with just arranging the blocks in a straight set, so I looked online to see if anyone else was making the pattern and how they were setting the blocks.
When I saw several versions of the quilt using this half-drop setting, I knew I had a winner. Now to cut some half-size pieces for the side blocks and stitch everything together!
I also did a little experimental sewing. I needed a clear vinyl bag of some sort to carry necessities to an upcoming American football game. Any bags being carried into American sports stadiums need to conform to a specific size and be see-through. I knew I could probably make something from materials I had on hand, so I went looking for inspiration online. Diane Knott at Butterfly Threads had recently made a bag of her own, and I also found this tutorial which got me started.
I didn't want my bag to be team-specific, so I chose some stash fabric with fall colors. I already had some vinyl on hand, and some lightweight fusible interfacing for the handles. Not bad for an afternoon's sewing! Now I'll have something to tote my wallet, sunglasses, reading glasses and lip balm - all things I hate to be without!