New Orleans House Project

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Flamingo-Inspired Multi-Color Fun

Keeping up the multi-color fabric theme for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I pulled out a pile of flamingo fabrics I started cutting last year with the intention of making a Postcard Quilt.

These flamingos were my first postcard inspiration.  The remaining postcards came from the stash or from stash-enhancement.

At first, I wasn't going to use the flamingo print on the bottom left, but the more I played with it, the more I was entranced by the colors.  After arranging and re-arranging all the different postcard fabric possibilities multiple times I came up with my final arrangement. 

I finished assembling all the blocks last night.  The finished size is approximately 30 inches by 30 inches, so it will be easy enough to machine quilt.

I even had a piece of striped fabric in the stash that turned out to be perfect for the binding! 

Of course, cutting all those postcards created a pile of scraps.  Not to mention all the fabrics that got pulled but not used.  The more I looked at everything, the more I realized I wasn't finished playing with these fabrics and colors.  It dawned on me I had a great start on fabrics for a flamingo-inspired version of Barb Vedder's Hex Vex pattern.  
I've only got one hexie partially pieced, but I've got lots of inspiration for block combos! 

Looking for more multi-color scrap inspiration?  Check out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge linky party for today!