New Orleans House Project

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Flamingo-Inspired Multi-Color Fun

Keeping up the multi-color fabric theme for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I pulled out a pile of flamingo fabrics I started cutting last year with the intention of making a Postcard Quilt.

These flamingos were my first postcard inspiration.  The remaining postcards came from the stash or from stash-enhancement.

At first, I wasn't going to use the flamingo print on the bottom left, but the more I played with it, the more I was entranced by the colors.  After arranging and re-arranging all the different postcard fabric possibilities multiple times I came up with my final arrangement. 

I finished assembling all the blocks last night.  The finished size is approximately 30 inches by 30 inches, so it will be easy enough to machine quilt.

I even had a piece of striped fabric in the stash that turned out to be perfect for the binding! 

Of course, cutting all those postcards created a pile of scraps.  Not to mention all the fabrics that got pulled but not used.  The more I looked at everything, the more I realized I wasn't finished playing with these fabrics and colors.  It dawned on me I had a great start on fabrics for a flamingo-inspired version of Barb Vedder's Hex Vex pattern.  
I've only got one hexie partially pieced, but I've got lots of inspiration for block combos! 

Looking for more multi-color scrap inspiration?  Check out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge linky party for today!

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. That is SUCH a cute quilt!! I will be looking forward to seeing your Hex Vex block joined with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is just SO much fun -- I made a Postcard Quilt and it definitely used (and made) a lot of scrappy fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This postcard quilt is so sweet! What a great idea for these fabrics! And now with the hexies, that's going to look awesome. Amazing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun colors you've put together, Angie! I love the bright flamingo colors matched with the text prints! And it's just as much fun to have leftover scraps to play with for another pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pink and green with all the black and white. Great little post
    card quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your postcards quilt is to die for! The bright colors, coupled with the black and white, is striking - a real winner! I don't ten you you the EPP, but I know that with your eye for color and pattern, they will be turned into something fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a postcard quilt before--love your flamingo fabrics with the black and white...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flamingos and black and white. How can you miss? Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a super theme for a Hex quilt! love those stripes.
    Your postcard quilt is wonderful. the binding is so great

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen the postcard quilt before but I can easily say that you nailed it! How bright and fun, and flamingos with print fabric, genius! I am certain that your version of flamingos and hexes will be a first, but it's going to be amazing, looking forward to following along the progress on that! And to think I don't have a single flamingo in my stash...I many need to fix that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspirational! With flamingos!!!! Whee! I love the words and dark line of the postcard quilt with the bright color. Good job Angie!
    Shoot! Now I have three ideas I want to make next time! Not enough hours in the day for all the inspiration I got today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Those are seriously fun fabrics together. :) Isn't it awesome when a piece in stash makes such a fabulous binding choice?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the link to the PC quilt. That sure looks like a lot of fun and I have a lot of travel themed fabrics so....

    My sister is a flamingo-aholic. She's sure love something like your PC quilt so....

    Hex vex...looks dangerously addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! I love those blocks together, especially the flamingos.

    ReplyDelete