New Orleans House Project

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Last of the Aqua?

It's the last Rainbow Scrap Challenge Saturday for talking about aqua scrap projects.  I feel I've gone a long way toward emptying the aqua scrap bins - at least for now! 

As I was digging through the aqua scraps,  I found some chunks of this Natural Effects collection by Michele D'Amore.  I used the collection for the above RSC project in March of 2014 (still unquilted, BTW).  I really wanted to finish off the scraps, but I needed something that called for fairly large pieces of fabric to make the most of the designs.

I finally settled on a tote bag.  I wanted to keep a big piece of the multi-color floral intact, so I cut large strips for the top of the bag.  The body of the bag is made of 3 inch squares and the bottom and lining were made from a piece of Grunge (by Moda) yardage.

I used both fusible fleece and fusible interfacing on the body of the bag, then added straight line quilting to hold everything together. 

There was enough fabric to add a good-sized interior pocket.

I like long handles on my tote bags so I can sling them over my shoulder.   The finished bag measures 14.5 inches high and 16 inches wide.  This could become a go-to gift project, especially using slightly smaller dimensions.

I also made some aqua pinwheel blocks this week.  Here they are laid out with last month's purple blocks.  My ultimate plan is to mix up all the colors, but since I only have two colors so far, I just color-blocked them. 

I'm ready for the next round of color, but in the meantime I'll be checking everyone's Rainbow Scrap Challenge entries for today!

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Nice tote bag! Great use of your aquas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. You always come up with such great blocks and ways to use your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tote and I think those little pinwheels are so pretty--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific tote! It's really a good showcase for those larger prints, and you can never have too many bags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like to have "go to gifts" on hand! Christmas will be here sooner than you think! Lovely tote, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tote bag, Angie! The fabric you used is perfect for it! I enjoy making tote bags and using them instead of a purse. It might be time for a new one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tote was a great idea for the large print. It really showcases the design. I admire anyone who makes bags. They're a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tote bag. I have some of those fabrics - you did a great job putting them together and the finished tote looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this fantastic post yesterday?! I love the totebag you made with a line of teal fabrics; super idea and absolutely beautiful result! And the pinwheels are so cute too! Have a great week, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really liking your aqua scrap projects! The tote is great. That quilt top is gorgeous...get to quilting it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a gorgeous sophisticated purse. It really shows off the fabric well. A roomy size and long straps, a go anywhere bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOTS of wonderful AQUA represented there!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely projects going on. Your tote bag is gorgeous,those fabrics are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty tote. Lovely Aqua pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tote is so cool. I think it would be a great go to gift. Pinwheels are coming along, too!

    ReplyDelete