New Orleans House Project

Saturday, February 4, 2017

A Little Aquamarine to Soothe the Soul

It's Rainbow Scrap Challenge check-in day, and I have a few modest efforts to show.  Angela, our fearless RSC leader, used the word aquamarine to describe the color she wanted us to aim for this month.  I found that color to be a perfect description of the scraps I pulled to start my blocks. 

I started with the easiest of all projects:  selvedges pieced and cut into Rail Fence blocks.  Sally of The Objects of Design sent me a large box of selvedges last year.  Somehow it must be a magical box, because there never seems to be a dent in the contents! (Thanks, Sally!)

 Next I turned to the pile of Happy, Scrappy Houses I made as an RSC project several years ago.  My goal this year is to make wonky frames for all the house blocks so I can finally assemble them in a quilt.  I don't have a real plan for this, I just look at the blocks each month and try to find some that would look good with that month's RSC color as a frame.  I'm pleased with this month's results AND I got all the houses to go "down hill".  You may recall last month they all went "up hill" and not intentionally.

That's all my aquamarine until next week.  I spent most of today doing some long-neglected chores (yuck!) and now I'm too tired to be playing with sharp objects.  I think maybe a glass of wine and reading about everyone else's RSC adventures this week sounds like a good idea!


15 comments:

  1. all of it is looking very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those SEA GREEN selvedge blocks make me SEW happy!! Between the serene shades and the "color dots"... bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your selvage blocks. I have a growing box of selvages, but the idea of sorting them all. Great house blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great selvage blocks. I don't save selvages. I love your wonky house blocks. The house blocks was fun to make. I look forward to seeing your completed house quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See Edgar's are so much fun. Especially the magic never ending kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wee - fun blocks. love those selvages!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The string blocks are so pretty. This month's color is one of my favorite colors so I look forward to seeing everything you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh I love the way you are doing your rail blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The selvage rail fences are great! I bet that collection of selvages is a lot of fun to look through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Selvage Rail Fence are great in aqua, and I like how you've framed your little houses in teal/aqua, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Up hill or down hill the houses look great with the month's color as the background. How nice you got a treasure box of salvages. The railfence block looks terrific that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your plans sound very wise indeed! LOL
    The comment about the selvages and how they never seem to get used up has been my experience as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good plan!
    That's a heap of selvages! Good thing you've got that bottomless bag of them!
    Your houses are cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The houses are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having fun with selvedges. I like the idea of your houses going both ways

    ReplyDelete